Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Got Some New Parts.....

brian923

;) i gots some new parts on the way from the heavenly MIDWAYUSA.com

but, i have some questions. (i seem to always make things harder then they really are.)

any-hoo's... i bought a shroud (american rifle works FN-style shroud) that eliminats the safety on top of the mauser. are these hard? the option said that it needed to be installed by a gunsmith, but i didnt know if that was just to take apart the bolt assembly. DONT FREET....

i did get new BOLD OPTIMA mauser trigger assembly with the safety on it. how are these to install?

i know that i will have to inlet the new fajen stock i have, but thats all fine and dandy. i just want to make sure that every thing i do is safe, becasue i am dealing with the safety

thanks alot for all your help, brian. ill post pics when i can. i have to find out how to do it first.

You should have no problems with your shroud or trigger. Just follow the directions that come with the trigger.

The photo below is a k-kale with a FN type shroud, Bold trigger, Fagen stock, and A&B barrel.

post-200-1190480417_thumb.jpg

need help!!!

i got my parts for my mausar. there so purdy..... but i ran into a problem. i put the action and barrel into the stock and installed the new allen head bolts, i wen t to look down the sites................................crap.............i cant get the sites to line up. the high comb on the stock is comfy, but... i have to raise the rear site to 600 yards to see down both sites. what can i do??? i have seen a couple scope mounts that install in place of the rear site, but is there anything that i can do that dosent cost a hundred dollars, and dosent involve stock alterations?/// need your help, brian.

need help!!!

" i have to raise the rear site to 600 yards to see down both sites. "

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think that I'm missing something.

You're not saying because of the stock comb are you?

Are you using a see through scope mount or, why is it that you must raise the rear site so far?

If you can explain the situation better, it would be helpful and in turn we can help you better.

A pic of the situation should tell the story.

Hey new to this site but i just had the same problems on mine.

Options:

1. Cantelever scope mount. replaces the rear site

2. Drill and tap for scope mounts. As long as the bolt handle clears the scope all is good.

3. Sandpaper. Sand the comb down so that the eye lines up with the site

It looks like you have a target/varmiter type stock with a high comb. These stocks are generally made to be shot from a bench or rest of some sort with a "scope".

You have 2 choices-

1. Remove enough of the comb to make the rifle shootable with iron sites.

2. Istall a telescopic site.

Kenny

got another question???. i went to put on the new safety-less shround, and thought, how is one to dissasemble the bolt assembly with the new shroud?? with the old mauser style, the safty holds the firing pin back so you can twist off the old shroud. how do i do it without the safety lever? any thoughts??? thanks alot, brian

• 3 weeks later...

Remove the bolt from the action, catch the face of the cocking piece on a raised piece of wood, grasp body of bolt and pull back until cocking piece face completely clears rear of bolt shroud, insert a dime between the face of the cocking piece and the bolt shroud. This will keep the nose of the cocking piece completely clear of the of the end of the bolt and allow you to easily unscrew the firing pin assembly. If disassembly of the firing pin assembly is necessary, it will require the same trick when reassembling the firing pin assembly to the bolt.

To reassemble the firing pin assembly, slide firing pin spring over firing pin, insert this unit into face of bolt shroud with tip of firing pin pressed into a soft piece of wood. Grasp bolt shroud firmly and press down until the rear end of the firing pin completely clears the rear end of the bolt shroud then slip cocking piece onto rear of firing pin and rotate until the foot of the cocking piece aligns with the slot in the bottom of the bolt shroud. Stop, slowly reduce downward pressure on bolt shroud allowing the shroud to rise upward until it stops. Shake out cramped hand, cussing helps. Get dime ready to insert. Grap bolt shroud with firing pin tip resting in soft wood, draw down bolt shroud until rear of bolt shroud completely clears the face of the cocking piece and insert the dime. Slowly allow bolt shroud to rise up and hold dime in place to maintain this clearance. Now the firing pin assembly can be screwed back into the rear of the bolt without the foot of the cocking piece jamming against the rear face of the bolt. When the bolt in reinserted into the receiver, carefully twist the dime out from between the rear of the bolt shroud and the cocking piece.

A trick for removed Mauser bolts with military type bolt shrouds, when you accidentally bump the safety arm off and the cocking piece snaps back into the bolt shroud and the bolt can't be reinserted into the receiver. Grasp the bolt body upside down with one hand, with the other hand hold the shaft of a screwdriver blade against the face of the cocking piece foot and pull the cocking piece rearward until it completel clears the bolt shroud, gravity will cause the weight of the safety arm to drop straight down into the Safe position. Release the pressure on the screwdriver blade shaft, turn the bolt over and it's now recocked with the safety arm in the upright position and ready to reinsert into the receiver. Bill