Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Floorplate Levers Again

donmarkey

Well it's been in the high 80's here and I'm not about to go sit in a tree bow hunting so I figured I might as well try to finish a few projects I have laying around. If anyone remembers this is how I left the last lever I was working on.

floorplatelever022.jpg

After doing it a few different ways, I came to the conclusion that the meier stye works the best except for having to make the bushing. Well this one I built the bushing into the lever and used the same catch which is very easy to make compared to the others I've done.

floorplatelever002.jpg

floorplatelever001.jpg

A little fitting and this one should be done.

-Don

Hi Don, it's been 70-83 off /on here. The floor plate release looks really nice. ?. why is it threaded? Just wonderin' Dave

Hi Don, it's been 70-83 off /on here. The floor plate release looks really nice. ?. why is it threaded? Just wonderin' Dave

It's just easier to make the latch on the lathe out of rod stock instead of by hand. The lever is threaded and the latch screws on and is held by a set screw. This one is to long and needs to be cut back. Here is the whole story.

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?show...95&hl=lever

-Don

floorplatelever023.jpg

Nice work Don. I did a lever similar the Meier lever with a couple of differences. For the screw part of the lever I plunged into the key stock with a .187 end mill about .200 deep, then silver soldered a 10-32 socket head screw with the head removed. As for making the bushing for the floor plate, I welded up the hole and drilled a new 3/16 hole. I locate the hole with a transfer punch through the trigger guard from the inside.

Bob