Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Toy

ken98k

I've been thinking about getting a Jeep for quite a while but could never really justify spending the money

when I have 2 pick-ups and a work van already. Then I came across this one for $1,250.

Needs tires and a fuel pump and the huge front bumper w/ boat winch has gotta go.

Some of my Mauser projects will be on hold while I get this road ready.

Sorry Z!

post-200-1192343256_thumb.jpg

post-200-1192343406_thumb.jpg

Great find, I've been looking for one for years, but like you could never warrant the high price with the other vehicles I already have. I would have jumped on that one too. Around here ones in that price range are rust buckets.

-Don

SAme here, in fact higher priced ones are rust buskets. Jeeps and Subaru's are high priced.

I was really looking for a CJ-5 but around here they're very scarce and priced way out of my league.

I've got the YJ in my shop going over it. I pulled about a mile of excess wire out of it yesterday. It seems to have had a couple stereo installations and mabey a alarm system at some point in it's 17 year life.

Kenny

• 4 weeks later...

I got the Jeep up and running the other night. The registration expired in March 04 so it's been just sitting at least that long.

Ran a little rough at first but smoothed out after a couple minutes. I drove it to the end of my street and back seems to drive okay but the transfer case linkage needs some adjusting.

post-200-1194590307_thumb.jpg

Are you sure that isn't a YJ? Here's a pic of mine on the Selway in October.

You're right, it is a YJ. I have edited that post.

I'm new to the Jeep world and was a little surprised when I first typed jeep on a search engine.

Not quite as confusing as Mausers but there sure is a lot of variations.

PS. What’s the Selway?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've got it just about done, and love it so far!

Runs and drive great! A fun little buggy to drive around. The heater works very well even with the ragtop.

I'm still well under $2,000 with tags and insurance.

I just have to get some new tires and come up with a front bumper. (and a gun rack of course)

Kenny

Good to here she worked out for you Kenny.I've seen several bumpers made out of pipe,about 2'' pipe.The 2 were spaced about 2'' apart,one above the other.I found a good Jeep site looking for parts for a friend.JeepsUnlimited.com forums.They have a parts for sale section.Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

It's finished!

As much as I intend to do to it any way.

I got everything working, gauges, lights, gears, brakes. Runs and drives great.

The finishing touch was new tires(got them from a friend for FREE) and getting rid of that huge ugly bumper.

I decided to fabricate my own bumper and it came out pretty good.

I've still got less than $2,000 into this buggy. Many, many hours though.

bumper001a.jpg

bumper002a.jpg

bumper003a.jpg

That's a fan-cottonpicken-tastic bumper Kenny. You do very good work! How did you solve the fuel pump problem? Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I wish I could do as well with Mausers!

I epoxied the strainer onto the pump.