Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Finally Got A Lathe

bubbamauser

I just picked up an old metal craft 9" lathe with about 24" between centers with a big coffe can full of parts and gears and some larger supports and tool holders. I'll snap some photos of the parts and post tomorrow for some help sorting them out. I have wanted one for a while so I jumped on it for $250 you guys think the price was okay for one this old?

Thanks,

Roy

Tinker the spindle is about 1" the hole in the chuck up to the spindle is 1.25 though looks like I can get about an 22" barrel between the centers though It may be the middle of winter before I have an "shop" area set up(half of the basement is becoming an entry way(no one else will probably understand this but house is on a hill so basement is below grade in the rear of the house and where the 1st floor should be in the front stairs to the second floor (read first) were on the outside now it will be on the first with a fold back type stair on the inside up to the second (again read first)) will probably take that long for my wife to stop being pissed off about this purchase with all the work still left on the house but I could'nt pass it up (with or without the motor you'll be welcome to use it)

I attached some photo's of the lathe and accessories if anyone could give me some part names I would appreciate it.

lathe2.jpg

lathe1.jpg

latheparts2.jpg

latheparts1.jpg

Thanks,

Roy

If the ways are in good shape and the bearings in the spindle are good, then you have got yourself a good beginner lathe.

To check the bearings mount a magnetic base dial indicator on something solid below the spindle with the pointer resting on the spindle.

Put a metal bar in the spindle and gently pull up There should be no movement on the spindle at all.

To check the ways center a piece of bar stock and take a cut or several cuts from one end of the bar or the other. Problems with the ways will show up and bumps or distortions in the test bar.

If there is a taper from the head stock to the tailstock the you need to adjust the tailstock.

For example if the test bar is 0.90 at the headstock and 0.80 at the tailstock, you need to move the tail 0.05 away from the cutter.

When you buy a lathe, you need all sorts of measuring tools and gauges to take advantage of it such as:

Dial micrometer

dial caliper

dial indicator

magnetic base for dial indicator

depth micrometer (for chambering)

High speed steel(HSS) for tool bits

Drill chuck

Drill bits (buy american it matters)

Center drilling bits

Make sure you level the lathe with a machinist level and mount it to the floor. Dont mount it on rubber pads, to maintain their precision lathes need to mounted directly to the floor.

Some import chinese stuff is okay, someof it is junk

Most japanese stuff is as good or better than american

You can find used american tools on ebay

If you know all this already sorry for wasting your time

Any more ?'s feel free to ask

• 1 month later...

sorry for the late reply, a total renovation is a fun project.

Tinker, I sent a PM

Milsurp collector,

I don't know where to begin spindle and ways are fine, I haven't had a whole lot of time to practice but is it supposed to take an hour to use the DI to center in the 4 jaw or am I borderline retarded.

Thanks guys

is it supposed to take an hour to use the DI to center in the 4 jaw

Yes! It means you're being careful and not a retard!

If it still takes you an hour after you've done it a hundred times then you might be a retard, but at least you'll be a careful one :).

You're on your way to understanding a lot more about the modern world. Some think that its become less important over the last generation - I don't agree. That little machine that you've assembled changed everything starting about 150 years ago. You'll soon be among the few who still know how to harness its power.

I don't know where to begin spindle and ways are fine, I haven't had a whole lot of time to practice but is it supposed to take an hour to use the DI to center in the 4 jaw or am I borderline retarded.

I've spent hours (or even a day) setting up for a 15 second cut on a mill or lathe. You're only dialing things in one plane... frustration is having two indicators in two planes simultaneously.

Taking the extra time ensured that I rarely had to deal with re-work. Many guys I knew had the "that's good enough" attitude, and the crew getting the resultant garbage had a long day of tweaking trying to get that junk to fit or function.

In carpentry it's "measure twice, cut once"; in machining it's no different.

Thanks Doble troble, gun nutty and alberta shooter, From some of the posts I've read it sounds like people put it in the chuck and have a finished product in 10 min so I was getting a little discouraged.

I do. :lol: But not without a lot of practice first. And, even with all that practice, on my new lathe, the indicator is 180 degrees out from my old. So, guess what? Yup, I keep adjusting the wrong way. :( What I used to do in 10 minutes, now takes me 11, just kidding, it does take me longer again. Hang in there, keep asking questions, and above all, make lots of chipc. There is no substitute for practice.