Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My 7mm-08imp.

lemski4

Here is my latest build. It started out as a turkish mauser. It's fitted with a Douglas match barrel, chambered in 7mm-08 Imp., Gentry 3 position safety, timney trigger, mark X trigger guard, and a richard's microfit XXXstock. It's nothing ,Super fancy but it fills the bill, considering I got two White tails with it last year at about 400 yards+.

It has a zebra wood fore end tip and grip cap Sorry I'm not a pro Picture taker.

post-1115-1194123056_thumb.jpg

post-1115-1194123064_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
It's nothing ,Super fancy but it fills the bill, .

Lemski, you definitely under state your skills!! You have really put something together to be very proud of. Nice job on the lettering, is it acid etched?? Do you do it before or after applying the blue?? I paid to have the Win 70 type safety installed, mine is only a two position but it is worth every dime as far as I'm concerned. Sure beats the trigger safetys by a country mile.

Thank you AzRedneck, the stock needs refinishing after going hunting last year, other than that I'm happy with the way it turned out.

No it is etched with glass bead can be done before blueing or after, and on polished or bead blasted finishes.

http://www.cookwoods.com/Zebra1.htm

towards the bottom are larger pieces. still too thin at 1 7/8".

http://www.gilmerwood.com/boards_zebrawood_unique.htm

nothing on the list big enough... but you might call them.

honestly, you're gonna play hell finding a piece big enough. might luck out with one of these two companies, but then there is always stability, weight, and hardness you have to deal with. not sure how suitable it is for a stock.

I picked it up at a local guys wood working shop, that has a lot of unique kinds of wood scraps laying around. I like it too, hell until then I'd never seen it before, but after working with it I don't think I'd use it for a hole stock as it's a little on the soft side.

To me I think they look like what a real cartridge should look like, fat with sharp distinct shoulders. In reality I work up A load until l I get the best group within the loading data I can find, or until I start getting excessive pressure signs. I don't in any means hot load any of my rifles, or try to get or match any published data. Powders have changed over the years, or at least the published data in the loading books have. So If I'm in dought I call one of the powder company's and ask one of their teck's about a load. As far as my 7-08 Imp. so far all I've shot through it so far is factory 7-08 off the shelf ammo. and have been getting 1/2 MOA groups fire forming with winchester 140 balistic silver tips. An Ackley Improved or most any version of the parent cartridge is not going to work wonders and S***T Spiders over the parent cartridge. You either love them or you don't. The most popular of the Ackley improved's is the 257 roberts, but it is not the most improvement in his experiments. The one that had the most improvement was the 25-35wcf followed by the 30-40 creg. But if you're still interested in loading data when I start working up a load I'll share it with you.