Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1909 7x57 Close To Being Done

donmarkey

Question fer ya. I have two of those stocks that I bought before Midway ran out. What did you do to finish the stock? Is that oil or some sort of urethane? It looks simply gorgeous, and I would love to figure out how to duplicate your results.

Looks like a beautifle stick. I've got my two stocks set aside for my son, one in 7mm with an isreali mauser reciever with the NECC twin-set triggers, and one in .308 with a german reciever. I'm also very interested in the final weight. I'm hoping that I can get it down into the 5 lb range.

I deer hunt in Kansas using the stalking method, so I'm wanting a rifle for my son to start hunting with that is light enough to carry all day, and is quick/manueverable in the hedgerows, yet still has the range to reach out to a deer around 100-150 yards.

Awsome job, it looks fantastic!!!!!

Question fer ya. I have two of those stocks that I bought before Midway ran out. What did you do to finish the stock? Is that oil or some sort of urethane? It looks simply gorgeous, and I would love to figure out how to duplicate your results.

Looks like a beautifle stick. I've got my two stocks set aside for my son, one in 7mm with an isreali mauser reciever with the NECC twin-set triggers, and one in .308 with a german reciever. I'm also very interested in the final weight. I'm hoping that I can get it down into the 5 lb range.

I deer hunt in Kansas using the stalking method, so I'm wanting a rifle for my son to start hunting with that is light enough to carry all day, and is quick/manueverable in the hedgerows, yet still has the range to reach out to a deer around 100-150 yards.

Awsome job, it looks fantastic!!!!!

5lb? Well, if you use lots of aluminum, pencil thin barely legal barrel, and leave the stock off you can end up at 5 lbs. The action alone weighs 3 lbs, a very light barrel goes 2 lbs........doesn't leave much for a stock.

Mine, here weighs 7.25 scoped.

308-big.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'll fess up. I've opened this post about 50X to look at this rifle. I love it. I see a Sauer at our gunshows now and then. It's the same style and always facinated me. And like Z pointed out, so much of this one was hand done. Just a beautiful rifle. Should I attempt another Mauser, this will be my blueprint. Sometimes I see these raised panel stocks with a little oval shaped metal plate in it. What are these? Something tells me they are more than ornamental. Like a type of cross bolt to keep side pressure on the wood or something?

Ron