Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Gun

Brenden

what do you all think of the .260 remington? I'm thinking about getting a extra br. for my t/c encore and have been considering the 260 w/120 gr hollow point handloads. All i will be shooting is deer and maybe a ground hog or two, with most shots under 300.

what do you all think of the .260 remington? I'm thinking about getting a extra br. for my t/c encore and have been considering the 260 w/120 gr hollow point handloads. All i will be shooting is deer and maybe a ground hog or two, with most shots under 300.

Ballistically it is the twin of the 6.5x55, which has proven itself on plenty of Scandanavian moose.

A lot of wildcat "tactical" cartridges are based on the 260 Rem using various "improvement" techniques. You should be happy with one.

Good hunting.

Jimro

The 260 is a fine cartridge but does operate at SAAMI specs of 60,000 psi compared to the 6.5x55 SAAMI spec of 51,000 to achieve the comparable ballistics. The European CIP specs post the 6.5x55 at 55,000 psi. Many european loads for it are MUCH hotter than any US loads. Norma has a 139 gr. load at 2850 so you see, the 6.5x55 in a good 98 action can be safely loaded to exceed the 260 ballistics by a fair margin. The 6.5x55 has a 3gr. greater capacity too. This should only be done by someone with the experience to watch for pressure signs as each action is an individual.

Why yes, I do like the 6.5x55, but you pay your money and you make your choice. I have a VZ24 with an F54 A&B 26" barrel waiting to be finalized (too many things going on) with a d&t and fitted to the waiting Fajen varminter stock in of course, 6.5x55. I vacillated at the time of chambering between 6.5x284 and the 6.5-06 and never really considered the 260 as a viable choice but chose the 6.5x55 as the common sense choice. Easy shooting, inherently accurate, more economical to shoot and I already had dies and cases for it. It's the best "old " thing.

Spiris

Spiris,

hey i'm not gonna knock the sweed. its a good gun and time tested and proven, but for me the 260 w/120 handloads fills my void. I looked through sierria's book just a minute ago, and really the 3 gr. greater capacity doesn't do it much good, their max load is less or equal to the .260 and if its the max load...that extra 3 gr capacity wont do me any good because none of my loads ever see max or beyond. yeah i know i'm a consertative or a wuss in most eyes. for me the 260 is logical, i can go down the road and pick up a box anyday if i want, the sweed, the choices are few and far between around here. (this is only in the case where i would get out of re-loading or something.) but hey, the 260 for me is to ponder on cuz i'm thinking about the 7mm-08 as well.it consist of the two best cals ever made, in my opinion. But to keep you happy spiris, i do want an old surplus sweed, maybe after i get my income tax back, i'll own one:) hey i want to see some pics of ur vz24 when done: Houndguy@go.com...send em'

Brenden

The 6.5X55 and 6.5X57 were both designed to work through a standard 93, 94, 95, 96, or 98 action. An action that feeds a 7X57 will feed either with no modification or difficulty.

The .260 Rem is a fine cartridge. The case, based-on the .308 Win, has less taper than either of the above mentioned cartridges; as such, there is a potential for some feeding issues in an unaltered 98 action. The .260 Rem case is also shorter, and a particular 98 may or may not need a magazine block.

You mention that "3 grains of powder"... Both the 6.5X55 and 6.5X57 use the additional 3 grains of powder to launch bullets at the same velocity as the .260 Rem, but they do it at a significantly LOWER pressure. Less pressure means a little less wear and tear on the rifle.

I think all 3 cartridges are great. In a 98 action, my order of selection would be 6.5X57 (I handload), 6.5X55, then .260 Rem. The ease of building a rifle for the first two is too much to pass up.

If it were some other action like a short Savage, short Rem 700, or short Win 70, then the .260 would take first position.