Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Octagon Barrels..

brian923

i was looing through the midwayusa book and seen that there are octgon, both tappered and straight, blanks. i was just wondering if anyone has used an octagon barrel on one of there builds.

will the octagon shape cause and harmonic issuse, and make the accuracy suffer?? just wondering, brian.

as with all things accuracy related it depends on the quality of the workmanship. I have octagon barrels that shoot every bit as good as round barrels.

The flats on an octagon barrel act much like the "flutes" on a fluted barrel. An octagon barrel with a certain dimension across the flats should be more rigid than a round barrel of that same dimension.

Many incredible accuracy records were made in the late 1800's in Ballard rifles with octagon barrels. Some of these records, set with open sights, are enviable today.

The makers of these barrels insist that their barrels are just as accurate as their competition's contemporary round barrels.

The only real issue I see is that you will need to "time" the barrel to the action, much as you would a barrel with existing sights.

If you have the cash to burn for the octagon barrel, and some patience for timing it, I don't see the big deal. I think octagon barrels are cool, and you will certainly impress myself and other with a snappy, unique rifle.

i'm building a octagon barreled mauser sporter right now in 6.5x55. the barrel came from wind river's custom shop. i paid $315 shipped, they have gone up a little in price but i still think its under $350 threaded & short chambered & takes about 2 months.

when i got it midway & brownells only had octagon blanks for black powder cartrides.

guildrileproject.jpg

i'm building a octagon barreled mauser sporter right now in 6.5x55. the barrel came from wind river's custom shop. i paid $315 shipped, they have gone up a little in price but i still think its under $350 threaded & short chambered & takes about 2 months.

when i got it midway & brownells only had octagon blanks for black powder cartrides.

guildrileproject.jpg

Very kool!

How did you get it timed?

I like the hell out of your gun too Jim.I looks way,way good.Years ago,there was a dude in Trinidad Colo. that made 1/2 round,1/2 octagon barrels,and I always figured on having one someday,but now I want a full octagon.Funny how something uncommon is so appealing.Jerry

i had chris at aquila firearms time it for me, he is in deer park, texas, close to me. he will thread & time for $100 or time a pre-treaded barrel for about $45. in the pic its in a mauser banner receiver but i found a curved metal buttplate with the mauser banner on it & its way to big for that stock so i pulled the receiver & i'm replacing it with a dwm gew98 receiver.

i'm going to use the mauser banner receiver & buttplate with a different stock i have thats more of a straight early big bore type stock. it too will get a barrel from wind rivers custom shop, a 10.75x68mm octagon to halfround with a intergal rib.

it may be worth the extra money to buy it straight from wind river because you can get it in the exact lenght you want, threaded & short chambered for about $100 more than the blank costs a midway. they will install it too but i have no idea what they charge to do it.

rem721 that handle goes to a different rifle, it thought it looked better with a bolt in it for the picture.

i have a cz bolt & a talley handle for it, i just haven't welded it up yet