Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sporterising A Type 38

marinesniper

hey guys i am new to this forum.i have picked up a type38 carbine that has been semi sporterised.the barrel appears to be almost shot out. me and my 15 yr old son are thinking about taking on this project.we have decided to rebarrel in 250 savage as this would be perfect for deer or varmints.how long of a barrel do you guys think i should get and what manufac.?we also would be restocking.

I am not aware of any pre-threaded and chambered barrels for the Type 38. That means that you will have to buy a blank and thread, chamber, and install it yourself. I would not put a barrel longer than 22" on a .250 Savage (great choice, by the way!). A Douglas or Shilen #1 contoured blank will cost you around $170. A fellow recently sent me a 25 caliber blank from Adams & Benett to make a 25-06 on. I am sure it is less expensive than the Douglas or Shilen. I would not hesitate to use an A&B for your project, but the contour is pretty heavy for a .250 Savage.

Clemson

I have a T38 sporter with a 25 cal barrel in 257 Roberts. Did it myself years ago when you could get long chambered barrels. I also have one that I reamed to 6.5x57. Both have 20" barrels. Have another in 7x57. Any intermediate cartridge works fine. I am finishing up putting an A&B barrel in a 94 Winchester making a 25/35. Barrel and reamer together was about $200. Lots of work contouring the barrel down to the replaced 30/30 contour.

As to the shot out barrel - you are aware that the Japanese used medford rifling that have no sharp edges and they all look worn. Even a retrived bullet does not have sharp grooves cut in it. Your barrel may be fine. riceone.

Well I've been down this road before, I acquired a type 38 barreled action and just HAD to build sporter out of it. I ordered a stock from Royal Arms (I think that was the name of the place) when they were in El Cajon, Ca., I then ordered a Dayton Traister trigger (would use a Timney now) and sent the action to E.R. Shaw to be rebarreled in their ligest contour .257 Roberts barrel. Had fun building it up, learned lots and came to the conclusion that you can put a Tuxedo on a goat but you still have a goat. On the bright side you will have a darned strong rifle for your son to hunt with.