Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Buckeled Brass

donmarkey

I've always used lee dies and never had a problem with this. Recently I buckled brass using 2 different RCBS dies. Both times it was while seating the bullet I believe, at least I didn't notice it after sizing. I clean the lube off by hand so I think I would have noticed. Both time it was Remington brass, one was once fired 7x57 and the other was new 300 h+h. What should I be looking at/for to prevent this.

-Don

My RCBS 30-06 dies have done this. If I full length size with the expander, the necks are not concentric. The bullet seater plug couldn't be any sloppier so some will start cockeyed in an already off center neck. I have to full length size without the expander then re-set everything and just do the neck ID. I hope for your sake AZ is correct and you don't have to go through this.

Don,

This is your reloading press telling you that you paid too much for "quality." Shoulda bought Lee dies... ;)

Pull the expander out and see what it does. The only time I've had any issue with buckling cases were when I had a die improperly adjusted and either the expander mandrel or seater rod were set too low.

-Jason

My guess, is the crimp is set way to low. Back the die out and run the stem in deeper.

Thanks, you were right. I'm glad is was something that stupid. I was just seting them up the same way I did the lee dies. I guess that's why they came with instructions.

-Don