Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Handgun

Brenden

hey guyes. Been thinkin about getting a new hand gun and possibly my first semi-auto. I've been lookin at high point ( cuz i'm a poor college student). anybody have any of these. I've heard good and bad...know their cheap but most say they shoot good. Also who makes an affortable 22mag pistol these days, may just stick to my old hammer guns.

Brenden

Highpoint pistols are junk but they are better than being armed with fists or a knife if you're in a gunfight. If $$ are tight, consider a PA-63 from J&G. It will cost you a hundred plus what ever your dealer charges for receiving it. For a 22 mag revolver your best bet is to shop gunshows and pawnshops for used, unless you're willing to shell out a 3-4 hundred for a new Ruger. If you want a small 22 mag for concealed carry, Charter Arms and Taurus make them but the cost is on the same level as their 38's.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ha...roducts_id/1258

A Highpoint 9mm is one of the few pistols that I have ever seen that keyholed bullets from 12 yards. It also jammed every third round. Stick with your revolvers or wait until you can afford something better than Highpoint.

Clemson

I'll say this, I haven't fired or even handled one of their pistols. Even though the shop I do lots of work for sells tons of them. I have worked on their carbines and while not my cup of tea, the folks at Highpoint have the best warranty I have ever dealt with, period. Based on that, I would suspect that if you did buy a pistol and it didn't function as expected, I'm sure they would make it right.

That said, look on the used market, especially this time of year.

listen to the wise men... avoid hipoint. it would only be a little longer to save for a better handgun. i bought a P64 for $129 + transfer a year or two ago. all steel, brand new (1974) 9x18. it's in my pocket right now...

a P64 now will run you $200+ but they, the PA63 and other communist bloc pistols are great deals. you just have to get used to people asking what caliber it is... not regular 9mm (9x19)

z1r, i've seen that they have a good waranty on their products, read several of the testomionals. I found a nice little revolver today, made by hertiage arms i believe, 22-22mag, 180 bucks new. I think i'd rater have something like instead of a 40, or a 45, plus the 22's are cheap and fun to shoot. Just gotta get my dad to sign for it, only 19, but if he signs for it and shoots it, i'll never get it back! Guys thanks for the advice. az, thanks for the link, i'll consider one. I've always wanted a military pistol. Is that 9X19 or 9X18 (i've heard of both now? ) a pretty powerful round, don't know much about them. Just wanting something to punch paper with and carry bow hunting in case i get a charging deer, or a very nice buck outta bow range :)

brenden

If you ran into a nice buck outta bow range I wouldn't shoot it with a 9mm!

i know montea6b, thats why i opt for the 22/22mag...lots of deer have fallen to the 22mag around here...i might add that most were leagal, well, in some sort of season anyway. :)B)

Karlunity, "Turner's outdoorsman", never heard of them, don't believe there here in WV, thats a good deal though, last one i saw around here was about $380-400.

I know lots of deer have fallen to the 22, but they're not legal out here and I wouldn't shoot a deer with a 22 pistol anyhow. Certainly not one that's outside of bow range.

I realize you are on a budget, but I would think with some looking you might find an older Blackhawk for around 3 bills. I'd feel a lot better touching off a 44 or 45 on deer.

I know lots of deer have falled to the 22, but they're not legal out here and I wouldn't shoot a deer with a 22 pistol anyhow. Certainly not one that's outside of bow range.

I realize you are on a budget, but I would think with some looking you might find an older Blackhawk for around 3 bills. I'd feel a lot better touching off a 44 or 45 on deer.

Montea6b, hey i know they arn't leagal, and i'm just being goofy about shooting one outside of bow range. I'm not a poacher, or an outlaw, just know alot of people that bow hunt w/a 22mag. I'm just gonna go w/the 22mag for plinkin, and yeah i'll carry it with me bow hunting, but just for if i see a yote in range, seen alot while hunting w/the stick and string, and its always nice to have on a 4 wheeler in case you see a ground hog or two in the 30 yard range :) I'd like to have a blackhawk, always wanted one in 41 mag, i had a 44 mag, and like a dummy i sold it. It was just too big and bulky to carry around. it was a tarus model 44, 6.5 inch barrel, nice gun, shot good, just too much to pack on ones side.

brenden

It was just too big and bulky to carry around. it was a tarus model 44, 6.5 inch barrel, nice gun, shot good, just too much to pack on ones side.

brenden

For packing a handgun while hunting a shoulder holster is the best way to go. It is out of the way and doesn't get tangled up with brush. I use an 8 3/8 barreled S&W 41 mag for handgun hunts. It was a pain in the donkey the first hunt packing it on my hip but after using the shoulder rig the following year. I wont go back to a shorter barrel or hip holster for hunting. During the Javalina handgun season I occasionally see a die hard using the western style holster and belt.

22 mag used to be the ideal gun for Javalina but it hasn't been legal for years. Friend of mine still uses a Marlin lever in 22 mag for Javy and as far as I know he hasn't been busted yet.

One thing's for sure, you'll be able to afford shooting that 22 mag a lot more than a .44, and they're great fun.

Save some more pennies and later on get a nice used blackhawk in a caliber .41 or larger for the big critters. No better packing gun IHMO.

One thing's for sure, you'll be able to afford shooting that 22 mag a lot more than a .44, and they're great fun.

Save some more pennies and later on get a nice used blackhawk in a caliber .41 or larger for the big critters. No better packing gun IHMO.

z1r, i love the blackhawk's the feel of them is outta this world. I found a nice 41 mag last night on gunbroker around 600 bucks for a 7.5 inch barrel and ss w/laminate grips....awww it was a beauty. I've just always been a 22 mag fan, killed hundreds of rock chucks with my old marlin. and for 180 bucks for a nice looking 22mag pistol, i can't pass it up. Later on i'll get me a real gun, but for now i just need something to plink with. I'm thinking about buying a new rifle too...so i'll prob buy the pistol when i get my income taxes back, and the rifle this summer. thanks all.

brenden

Montea6b, hey i know they arn't leagal, and i'm just being goofy about shooting one outside of bow range. I'm not a poacher, or an outlaw, just know alot of people that bow hunt w/a 22mag.

Well, it's kinda hard to tell sometimes if someone is serious or not. I used to carry my dad's Ruger Single Six all the time while deer hunting. Got a few grouse for camp meat with it. Now that's a nice pistol to consider. They come with a swap out cylinder for 22LR or 22mag.

montea6b, mmmm grouse sounds good. I shot one a few years back w/ a 7mm mag, wasn't much left to eat for some reason. Thanks all for the info, gonna get one pretty soon. will post a pic of it when i get it...just to show it off :).

brenden

• 3 weeks later...
montea6b, mmmm grouse sounds good. I shot one a few years back w/ a 7mm mag, wasn't much left to eat for some reason. Thanks all for the info, gonna get one pretty soon. will post a pic of it when i get it...just to show it off :).

brenden

I did the same thing with a 30-30 once when I didn't have the 22. I had heard that you should aim at the head with a rifle. If you hit it, great, but if you don't and come close the shock wave will stun them enough that you may be able to catch it and wring its neck. I aimed for the head, but hit the body square on. (open sights on a '94) Talk about an explosion! I hate wasting meat on an animal I killed, but I picked at this one for a while and there wasn't a morsel bigger than a dime without feathers and bone fragments in it. Total waste of a good bird.

montea6b, I don't remember where i aimed, but it looked like i'd just hit a pillow. Wish i'd never shot at it now. We don't have many grouse around here these days. I've been watching the same two grouse for around 3 years. Never have seen any little ones. I put a post on here a while back. Got my 22/22mag last weekend. Its a hertiage arms. Nice gun, got a 9 inch barrel, and its a gem to pack around. Those coyotes better run now!

Bert congrads on your purchase. I looked at the pa-63's and considered one, but the money was right on the 22/22mag. Plus its cheap and fun too shoot. I'm still lookin at the p-38's nice guns but a little high for my wallet. take care and good shooting!

Brenden

• 1 month later...