Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What To Do With Parts

38scarabkv

tang was cut and some metal welded on the rear of the receiver with bolt race way and drilled and tapped to match mauser bottom metal, removed a little wood from the stock and it dropped right in, made spacer for mag because the 7.62x39 is so short, feeds and goes bang, but it has a burr in the chamber making extraction hard and scratching the cases. It did not have a firing pin spring so I made one just to hold it togather while I worked on it, I knew it was not powerfull enough to fire, but it let me cycle and check clearances, everthing was so smooth I was getting kind of excited, then the real spring gets here from GPC and it is hard to cock , and the safety is worse than a mosin...........I doubt it will amount to much, I am not a big fan of anything that cocks on closing........

I have an 8mm Turk that cocks on closing. Made in 1940 or 41, if I recall, with a straight bolt handle. I suppose it is technically a 95. It is about the smoothest and fastest bolt action I have.

I was spoiled early, the first highpowered rifle I shot, and learned to shoot on, was a 1909 argentine mauser in 7.65mm that my father built...........I still have it , and it is like the comercial says "there are some things money can't buy"

I've been fooling with Japanese rifles since 1950 and to me the safety is just fine. Put the heal of your hand on it and roll the safery to the right to put it on and to get it off push with your right thumb and roll to left. It works easy for me even under a scope. riceone.