Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pa- 63 Tear Down

AzRednek

Pull the triggerguard down with one hand, then pull the slide back and down till you get the rear of the slide passed the rear of the frame. Then tilt the slide up and pull it off the barrel.

I'm guessing you picked up one of those $100 specials too?

I had my dad snag one for me for Christmas. It is my intention to use it for concealed carry if I'm ever able to get my packet together and off to the TxDPS.

And oh, do remember:

When reassembling - you have to pull the slide down a bit at the rear for it to clear the rear of the frame. You may already know that, but it took me a while to figure out why the slide wouldn't fit back on!

I got mine a couple years ago for about 130. It was a jamming piece of manure and I let it sit for a couple years until I discovered the problem was in the mag. Since then I've put two boxes through it without a single jam. I'll likely get one another at the next gun show J&G shows up at.

I have one of those in 380. It was _CHEAP_ at a show. As usual, all CHEAP show finds have something wrong with them. On this one, the ramp in the frame was not machined properly. It had a huge ridge in it that caught every single bullet. That is, I'd say about 90+% jams. A little work with the Dremel Brand Moto Tool and it works great. You wonder what the Hungarians do for QC. Have some more vodka and send it out the door?

just got mine last weekend and i love it. ordered the 13# and 15# recoil springs, havent arrived yet. i've put a couple boxes through it with no problems, exept it kicks more than any big bore i've ever shot. the new springs should keep the slide from bottoming out on the frame, in turn reducing recoil. so until i get the springs im taking it easy as far as shooting. on the very plus side it feeds the Hornady XTP's with no hickups. im also planing on removing the small (but accurate) issue sights and replacing them with a set of fiber optics. one other thing i do recomend is either buying an aftermarket reduced power hammer spring or removing a coil or two from the stock spring. i've heard the 9# will give light primer strikes on wolf and other surplus, so i think most go with an 11#. either way it makes the double action pull allmost usable. i removed one coil from mine and think ill play with it a little more, but it helped tremendously and i've had no problems with any wolf ammo going through it.

On the hammer springs:

Cut off a coil and than FILE the end smooth and test fire with several types of Ammo, including the hand loads, it is EASY to cut off too many coils( I done done it ) and make the hammer too weak for a reliable first single action shot.

When you strip the pistol, take care as the ejector tends to fall off, and if you take the grips off, the little cocking lever pins like to fall out and hide under the work bench.

The smaller coil end of the recoil spring goes on the barrel first.

These are great pistols I have had one for 20 or more years, they used to be called "PPH".

Almost never failed to chamber or fire.

Karl

• 1 month later...

My dad and I each got one of these little gems yesterday. They were from SOG and very clean.

Looked like they had hardly been used.

My first impression is that it's a nice little firearm. It's light weight and the size is nice for carrying.

Recoil is a bit harsh but not abusive. For self defense and a glovebox gun it's just fine.

I figure that the 95 grain XTP's from Hornady would make a nice stopper at close range.

lc

They are dandy little guns.I've shot hundreds of rounds through mine without one glitch,except for the time I tried some Wolf hollowpoints.They just won't work in my mag.I've had real good luck with Sellier Bellot.I put some wood grips on mine and sure like them.The best part is,the guns will fit in the pocket of blue jeans.Just remember to keep that hand down on the grip to save the hide on the nuckle. Jerry

That's good news littleboat! I didn't even know Hornady loaded 9x18's.The Wolfs I tried were just a hair too long and would hang up in the mag,so it was no fault of the guns.Thanks for the info,Jerry.