Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anyone Remember Their Geometry?

donmarkey

I have a couple floorplates to make. My question is if I want a radiused outside and a thinkness of "x" through out and the front is one dimension and the rear is another since it is a tapered part, to make it an equal thickness how do I figure out what the radiuses are and the front and back? Make any sense?

-Don

Ouch, my brain hurts.

I think its time to break-out Mr. Sine Bar.

But I'm only acquanted with Mr. Sine Bar by reading about him in Machinery's Handbook (I've got the 25th edition - see pg 687).

I think you'll need to figure out the height above the chord for each. If you have:

The thickness, the edge thickness and both widths I can get the radii at work tomorrow. On the other hand, wouldn't dressing it in by hand be easier? Or do you have access to some CNC equipment?

floorplate_calc..bmp

Insert is a sketch from Machinerys handbook showing the formula for figuring out a radius if you know the height and width (h & c). I did this formula against my Turk floorplate which is finished and polished - not military. The width dimensions are approximate; taken quickly with a caliper just inside the corner radii. Mine shows a radius of 1.787" at the small end and 2.629 at the wide end. I measured the overall height next to the boss that accepts the spring and subtracted the edge thickness. Hope this helps.

radius_calc..pdf

This Mauser math will drive you batty if you let it, won't it?

Any luck with that spreadsheet I sent over? That about drove me to drinking before I figured it out!