Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bedding With Epoxies

Ron J

I've done a few searches and see that Devcon has been used as glassbed. Sounds good, but what do you guys use for release agent when using Devcon?

Thanks,

I use brownells release agent for every bedding type I use. I never had a problem with it and it's in a convenient spray can so it's easy and fast.

-Don

• 1 month later...

I use the Devcon exclusively for bedding. I use paste wax (a product called "finishing wax", by Minwax) as a release agent. Works every time - absolutely no problems. There are a wide variety of things that will work as release agents with the Devcon - paste wax, "PAM" cooking spray, veg. oil, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Devcon almost exclusively.

For release, I've used Johnson paste wax, believe it or not. Primary purpose is to fill the pores of the metal so it will not absorb the epoxy. Carnuba wax or Turtle wax is probably better, but I've got a can of Johnsons that I can't get used up. Supposedly the Carnuba and Turtle protect a car best from the elements, thus they must do a great job of filling the pores.

Further comment on wax. I don't use oil on my barrels or exterior. I use the wax. Seems to smell less and shed rain/snow water better. My nose is not very sensitive, but maybe somebody would like to comment on which wax is least "odoreous"?

I will be the "dissident"! I don't like Devcon at all!! Last one I did I am so unhappy that I am now "digging" it out. I much prefer the miles gilbert product... bedrock I think.. use up those microballoons into it, to keep it thick. I do use turtle wax as release agent.. but if in a bind, I have also just sprayed on some pledge furniture stuff... worked fine.. MV