Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Nephews Turk

weaver77

i built this one on a turk action with one of sarco's 8 x 63 swede barrels they where selling i cut the chamber off tappered the barrel and rechabered to 8x57 i bought a fajen syn stock cheap so i reshaped it glassbedded and recoated the outside of it with spray on truck bed liner the kind you can get at wal mart verry durable stuff i then durabaked the barred action and bolt and mounted a 6 x 24 x40 tasco on it and gave it to my nephew for his 14th birthday he was estatic to get it the targets behind it where shot with the first four different handloads that i put together for it its a shooter almost kept it for me DCP_1690.jpg

hey, my birthdays coming, and ill even give you a wish list.... just joken, unless.... ;) no, thats really awsome. thats amazing that you could sqeeze that accuracy out of old stuff. i guess they new what they were doing a long time ago. hey.. would you be kind enough to post your 8x57 mauser recipies??? thanks, and very nice rifle. brian

i just got back from mexico sorry for the delay sarco runs and add in the shotgun news and every so often they where listing those barrels best bet is to give them a call and ask them if they have them they where calling them 8mmx63 sweede barrels but i dont believe thats what the chamber actually was as the diamiter of the chamber seemed a good bit larger but dont get your hopes up about sarco actually haveing anything in stock that they advertise it a 50/50 shot at best i will round up thier number in the morning and post it for yall brian i will pm you the load data i used this particular barrel wasnt verry picky and the worst five shot group was with the 185 rem corlkt's best was with 180 nos balistic tips close runner up 175 sierra pro hunter's which is the bullet i normaly use in my 8x57's i took my nephew out to shoot and then gave him a crash course on reloading had him load up some more ammo and then took him out to shoot again it was a really good experience doing that with him and i am still not sure who had more fun me or him

If someone still wants a Swede 8x63 barrel, its probably still a good bet that Sarco has them. Sarco has advertised them for years now and no one seems to be buying them. From what I'm told, they are chambered for an 8x63 machine gun cartridge the Swedes developed some years ago and never really fielded. For $35, I bet they're a pretty deal on for an 8mm barrel.

Cool Turk! and an excellent choice in caliber. Its hard to beat that old 8x57JS ain't it? The Germans sure go it right when they developed that little gem.