Military Firearm Restoration Corner

338 Federal

Brenden

hey guyes. I've got a question. I was wanting to do a 35 whelen project but i'm kinda backin off of her now and i've been looking at the .338 cal. I like the 35, but the .338 bullets are pretty cool and larger selection as you all know. Any body know anything about the 338 federal? I looked up some loads and there right in line w/the 35, so i'm considering it. Also, what about a 338-06? I'm just lookin for a big-hole gun w/out alot of kick....don't need it but it may come in useful some day ;) Thanks

Brenden

hey guyes. I've got a question. I was wanting to do a 35 whelen project but i'm kinda backin off of her now and i've been looking at the .338 cal. I like the 35, but the .338 bullets are pretty cool and larger selection as you all know. Any body know anything about the 338 federal? I looked up some loads and there right in line w/the 35, so i'm considering it. Also, what about a 338-06? I'm just lookin for a big-hole gun w/out alot of kick....don't need it but it may come in useful some day ;) Thanks

Brenden

338-06 has considerably less 'kick' that a 338 win mag but requires a standard length action.

338 federal is based on the 308 win case and should work well in an intermediate length 24-47 or 48.

Thanks Kenak2. The 338 federal is a fine little pice of lead, but i think i'm going to opt for a 338-06, or a whelen. Like me and tanglewood were talking, the 338 fed doesn't have any barrles out yet so i'd about have to go w/a blank or iter a savage barrle and possibly re-thred. I don't want all that trouble, and don't really want to put Rod through it, (well i do because hes always rubbin his purchases in my face!)lol. Adams and Bennet has a 338-06 avaliable, and thank goodness for lee, they provide me with a set of cheap but effective dies. Just a question though, hornady uses the regular 06 case necked up to 338, while sierria uses the a square version, with a 17^o, 16', verses the hornady's 17^o 30'. what does all this mean? Don't know much about this cartrige as you can tell, but i like the ballistics ;) Does one just usually re-form 06 brass to this cal, or do most just use regular and pricy a-square brass? Thanks.

Brenden

Mike,

Any luck with the Shaw barrel? I thought you didn't dig Shaw too much.

Also...show him one of those sweet 338-06's you've built!

-Jason

Yeah, that particular barrel prettzled on us when me made even the tiniest cut on it to lose some weght near the chamber. Do I like them, no. But, I posted to show that A&B isn't the only game in town when it comes to getting a pre-threaded 338 Fed barrel.

Before we made the skim cut it looked every bit as good as an A&B.

Here's a pic of my .338-06. I used it earlier this year to take a nice liitle elk in Utah.

338-06.jpg

Here's another rather plain .338-06 I'll be listing on Gunbroker soon.

DSC00493.jpg

Kenak2,

I found that site that American Rifleman did on the 338 fed. Its a good preformer and certainly surprised me. I still like that 338-06, blastically there pretty cool.

Mike,

Nice guns, both are good looking rifles. I wasn't aware of the shaw barrels in 338 fed. I've been looking at the Shilen barrles. A bit pricy as you know but i've heard good on them. Any body had any dreadful expirences with them? My A&B has preformed quite well for me, but i'd like to try something diffrent. As to the loading Mike, do you just reform 06 brass?

Brenden

the chrome moly shilen barrels that are pre threaded are not lead lapped like thier stainless ones for that matter i belive that none of the chrome molly ones are

me and a buddy have had good luck with them but we polish the bores before finish chambering with jb bore paste ( these where both blanks )

another buddy built a 7x57 with one of the pre chambered and threaded ones and his accuracy was not good and his barrel was coppering bad he polished it wih 400 grit lapping compound then jb bore paste and acuaracy improved alot and the coppering all but went away

its to bad douglas doesnt sell prethread and chambered barrels

i have had good luck with the a&b barrels but they get the polished with 400 and jb before i finish chambering and crowning them

never have used a shaw but ive heard more bad then good about them

i also favor the 338-06 over the 338 federal for no reason in particular just do

good luck with the build and keep us posted

weaver77

Yup, I run new .30-06 brass through the neck die.

Mike, i'm a tid bit confused here. Do you have an A-square, or the wildcat 338-06? I seeing (or maybe i'm not understanding what i'm seeing), a slight variance between the two, the degrees off the shoulder. hence i'm wondering about using standard 06 brass, because of the diffrence a-square standardized. I'm confusing my self here.lol. help me understand what i don't :unsure:

brenden

Mike, i'm a tid bit confused here. Do you have an A-square, or the wildcat 338-06? I seeing (or maybe i'm not understanding what i'm seeing), a slight variance between the two, the degrees off the shoulder. hence i'm wondering about using standard 06 brass, because of the diffrence a-square standardized. I'm confusing my self here.lol. help me understand what i don't :unsure:

brenden

338-06 and 338-06 A-Square are the SAME.

Buy the gun, I'm sure someone will give you a ride to school. :lol:

Glad you're OK though, cars are replacable, people aren't.

-Don

Since i'm the only college student in a 10 mile radius....its unlikely. but good thinkin don! Rod was gonna check about gettin me some receviers to put together, so i'll be ok. Mom and dad are gonna give me the 98 chevy, and them get a new one. its all good. I'm pretty beat up and bruised up....i'll put up some pics of the car monday or something. Take care, drive safe, wear your seatbelts, watch out for ice!

Brenden ;)