Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Geha Shotgun

Bob58

I ran across a large ring mauser converted to a 12 ga. shotgun. It appeared to be a commercially-converted, Gew98 based on marks on some of the smaller parts. It had a 2 shell magazine with very nice, but dirty wood and a medallion on the side of the buttstock inscribed with "Geha" (?) in cursif.

I'm considering buyiing it and restoring it - making it a first try at rust-blueing. I would also strip/refinish the stock, maybe even checker, etc. I'm assuming they're not worth much, but are a bit of a novelty. Could be fun for trap.

I've read some of the earlier posts but couldn't "get a bead" on value. It was marked $225. Also, are these full choke? It wasn't marked.

Sorry, only input I can offer is I don;t worry what others will pay. I will pay what I feel it is worth to me. Sometime sthat is over market rate but if I WANT it I'll pay rather than have to keep searching for one that is lower priced.

Post in gunsmithing since you want to restore it. there are a couple of guys there that have some of these and can be more helpful.

Best of luck on what sounds like a fun project.

I've bought and sold a few, I wouldn't personally pay over $200 if it needs refinishing. Less if it is missing any parts. The bolt face is almost imposible to find, the same with the extractor. I had to custom build these parts for myseld and a friend. Geha's are the bottom of the barrel for shotguns, the hard hit hearts are worth more.

-Don

Thanks for the input. I posted over on MC's Tech Talk and googled some. I think I'll just pass for a number of reasons. There are other more shootable projects out there to spend time and money on.

FWIW, if the gun is complete and worn but not worn out, I wouldn't have a problem with one. Don't buy into that BS about them only having the third lug. The Savage 325 & 340 Series rifles fired rounds that developed twice the pressures of todays shotgun shells and they only had one locking lug. Keep it sane, avoid "magnum" or hot loads and you'll have a fun piece of history.

Too many people fear the unknown.

FWIW, if the gun is complete and worn but not worn out, I wouldn't have a problem with one. Don't buy into that BS about them only having the third lug. The Savage 325 & 340 Series rifles fired rounds that developed twice the pressures of todays shotgun shells and they only had one locking lug. Keep it sane, avoid "magnum" or hot loads and you'll have a fun piece of history.

Too many people fear the unknown.

I agree and I do shoot mine. Look at shotgun pressures compared the rifle pressure the 98 was designed for and that is with 2 lugs not 3 the 3rd is a safety lug and not designed to make contact unless there is a problem.

-Don

I got me a project Geha from Don,and when I get-er restored,I'll dang sure be shooting it.I have 7 or 8 J.C Higgings bolt action shotguns that's missing bolts,and the Geha is a much better design.That reminds me,if any of you cats need any Bolt shotgun parts other than the bolt,let me know.I gotta do something with them. Jerry

i paid $100 for mine, but i've seen some very nice ones go for between $150-200 on gb. i read the the 16ga. versions still have the front two locking lugs

They have about half of the fronts. Which makes me wonder what is safer, 2 cut down front lugs or 1 full contact rear lug?

-Don