Military Firearm Restoration Corner

State Of Our Little Club

FC

Well, I looked back several months on new registrations, new posts, and posts. We're keeping an even keel: not increasing or decreasing. This is okay.

It does hurt postings some that one must register to see the site, but I was daily dealing with bogus posters and registrations, and it just wasn't worth it, in my opinion.

I think our little club is in a wonderful state.Checking in here to see what you cats are up too and talking about,sometimes at 4am,is the only part of the day that's MY TIME.What a wonderful retreat.Jerry

seriously, this site is the best thing i've ever found..thank goodness i just happen to stumble upon it one night. made some friends, learned alot, its a good thing.

Brenden

This group, one of many I've hanged in, is the only one that doesn't have any trouble makers or constant flamers. There are many confident and knowledgeable personality's in this group but nobody ever comes across as arrogant. I'm like Fly, sometimes jumping in here at 4:00 AM. It is always a pleasure knowing there wont be any flaming or name calling. I don't know who all the moderators are but thanks to each of you.

Tony,

I'd say things are pretty nowadays. I see quite few more "sporterizing" related posts in the gunsmithing section than I was seeing this time last year and I'm seeing a great many more new members posting than before. Those two indicators tell me we've still got a good thing going on here and I'm tickled pink over it.

Thanks again for providing rifle loonies like me a find place to "hang out"!

-Jason

This group, one of many I've hanged in, is the only one that doesn't have any trouble makers or constant flamers. There are many confident and knowledgeable personality's in this group but nobody ever comes across as arrogant. I'm like Fly, sometimes jumping in here at 4:00 AM. It is always a pleasure knowing there wont be any flaming or name calling. I don't know who all the moderators are but thanks to each of you.

What are Flamers?

I occaisionally get a flamer when using my torch on something clamped in my vise. I really need to clean off my work bench. Either that or install a sprinkler system.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time that I was welding a bolt handle right after pulling a bunch of bullets from 30-30 loads that weren't working out? I had dumped the powder/Cream of Wheat mix into a coffee cup to spread on the lawn later. While welding the bolt I got a "pop" probably from bad welding technique that sent a bit of flaming metal horizontally across the shop right into the coffee cup 30 feet away. It went up in a flaming hiss. I wish I'd gotten points for that shot, but no such luck. That was the worst flamer I've ever encountered. I nearly burnt the house down.

That was scary. I think I've learned from this mistake.

This is why I hate flamers. I hear that SF is filled with them now and so I avoid that city. I don't understand why hating flamers is such an issue. Who in their right mind would like them?

I don't hate the poor bas*&^ds. Pity and ridicule is more of what I feel for them.

Now the so called "life style activist's" who act like fools in public or in print are another matter, they can Skip along hand in hand to hell together.

Karl

I don't hate the poor bas*&^ds. Pity and ridicule is more of what I feel for them.

Now the so called "life style activist's" who act like fools in public or in print are another matter, they can Skip along hand in hand to hell together.

Karl

I did a paper one time on how i can't stand flamer's and how they shouldn't have any rights..this was for my english class at college. I got tore apart. You know why? the teacher was the president of the gay/straight alliance club, and i didn't know. Basically i told him hes going to hell, or to go to hell i can't remember. :D

Brenden

by the way......i did pass the class.lol

Kenny

10 years ago it would have ment someone was a fudge packing gay wad but now its someone who talks to a poster or posts and thinks he looks so cool tearing them to pieces about something that is stupid. Someone please chime in and add to this if you have a even better description.

Rod

I guess we don't have any of the posting kind of flamers, though I occaisionally enjoy posting something that I know will get somebodies goat, then sit back to see who'll take the bait.

I hope we don't have any of the other kind.

All kidding aside, I think your a great bunch and I'm proud to be associated with you.

Kenny

Brenden,

Tell him you got him reserved seats right up front by the fire....

-------------

The jury's still out on where the worst flames of all time happen. I've seen threads run on for days on the Accurate forums, but then again, you've got to have thick skin to hang around the Fal Files forums. I can't decide; maybe I'll flip a coin.

Thank goodness we have none of that here - flaming or flamers!

Tony,

This is definately the best site of it's kind on the net.

I've been hanging around since about '03 or '04 and have sure learned a lot and am still picking up valuable tid-bits daily.

For some time now I've been curious about how this "little club" got started. Perhaps you could give us newbies a little overview of the history.

For some time now I've been curious about how this "little club" got started. Perhaps you could give us newbies a little overview of the history.

I got started in the old group after putting Mauser 98/22 in yahoo search looking for info on the Czech rifles that were going for about 50 bux at the time. I was glad to find a group that wasn't going to give me a ration of manure for wanting to sport one and actually give advice.

I came here day after 9/11.

On the site I was in the habit of posting on, it was considered offensive to point out that jihad was in the Koran.

Note that this was the day after 9/11 ..as it might have offended Muslim who might have been posting there..bad for business.

Karl

It all got started about August of 2001, I think. Bill (Parallax) was the board of us old-timers. Bill put the lid on sporterizing topics. Some of us thought he was too controlling. He stopped conversations that were not directly related to his parameters, such as just talking about stuff in general, like we do here. The devotion to Bill came off like a sort of brown-nosing worship. I challenged the notion that it was evil to sporterize, and that what we do with our guns is nobody else's business. That got a sharp response. Bill said that if we didn't like it we could start our own site, like he did. Well, I took the dare. I knew that to start a board I would have to have a gunsmith, and some start-up members, so I directly and indirectly solicited posters from Bill's and other sites. That came off like being a sheep thief. For a while Bill and I played nice with each other, but there was always tension there. I tried to be an innovator, and think outside the box, which I think I did pretty well. I am the first person, I think, to use the term, "Bubba-ing" a rifle. I think I was the first to have a sporterizing board, the first to have a North American firearms forum, the first to archive, the first milsurp board to have a cowboy action forum, archive forums, and probably some other stuff. It was pretty time consuming, to say the least. I think I understood marketing, collaborating, motivating, soliciting, and getting group buy-in and involvement pretty well. Weaknesses were my non-computer background, and lack of personal gunsmithing skills. But I knew enough to try to get a team of people who could do what I couldn't do. Financially and technically we were on the low scale.

Disasters struck when EZBoard lost the posts of scores of boards. Bill's board was unaffected. I got a hosting service after leaving EZBoard (now Yuku) that proved very slow and unreliable. We lost even more posters. Thanks to some old-timers, like Karl, sticking in there, we survived (barely). The market was getting clogged with gun boards, and milsurps, just like projected, dried up, and no longer were the fad. I knew we had to keep innovating to remain. Emphasis on the team and community, rather than the cult of personality were needed for success.

Bill and I had a falling out some time ago. We disagreed on strict controls over posters, personal convictions, sporterizing, and probably other stuff too. We managed to survive it all, but not unscathed. So the market is full of gun boards. You have to meet a need to survive. I think we do, but this board doesn't meet the needs of everyone. I can tell you it survived by grit and determination, as well as by the members of this community/team hanging in there.

Tony

I'm so terrible with names, very few stick.

Who was the 'smith' early on?

I knew so little then, any time he responded to my questions

he explained very well, didn't make me feel like an idiot for asking.

I'm sorry to say that I forget exactly what happened to him.

I know that there was a stroke or something, then he tried to come

back. After that I forget if he had another episode and retired or if

the gentleman passed on.

Then there was Rem 25-06.

He was quite active, got the reamer co-op going.

What the hell did his wife do to that boy!?

He went to pieces and dropped off the face of the

Earth when he started having 'marital difficulties'.

In terms of 'history' , I was just thinking of a few

from the early days that stood out in my mind.

Tinker

I found this place after getting run out out of Bill's board for insinuating that my as-issue Yugo sucked and couldn't be accurately fired. The last time I visited Parallax's board, which was about four years ago, I read something in the general BS forum about using "teenage punks" in "penile battalions to clear land mines in Iraq." I was so stunned by what I read that I haven't been back. Then they banned Fritz for being helpful. That was enough - those guys have all definitely lost it. I'll never have anything to do with them again.

And I've been here ever since. Around 2002(?) I think. I've made some friends along the way and owe 95% of what I know about Mausers and gunsmithing in general to Mike McCabe who I met through this board. If it had not been for his tutoring, I'd of never made it this far with my gunsmithing.

So thank you Tony for providing us Parallax refugees with a home and for having me along. Its been a fun, educational ride so far.

Thanks!

Jason

You're right, old George was the gunsmith. I had forgotten. He did great for a while, then I got wind of him putting a crooked barrel on someone's rifle, then shipped it back to him. I sent him an old double-barreled shotgun and didn't get it back. I finally threatened to contact the police, then I got it back. If I remember right, his wife said he had a heart attack and got behind.

I vaguely remember .25-06. Is Mike still doing the co-op? I never look in there.

Karl, Fritz, Tye, George, Ed, and lots of others were at Bill's.

Old Ed and Paul were fighting a lot, which was a real bummer. Paul knew it all, and Ed didn't work. I guess a lot of us are dysfunctional, but manage to get along for the most part.