Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7.62 Ofv M80 75 Ammo......

brian923

wondering if its okay to use the brass for reloading. what recipes do i use? can i use .308 recipes??? i am loading this for my savage .308 bolt gun. i have read a lot of contumplating info on the web about this stuff. i have shot it in my bolt gun, and all seems to be okay. brass is annealed, and none have any defects. seem to shoot okay, but not accurate. just wanting to see if anyone had some good info on "to use or not" i think its okay, but i could be wrong. thanks guys, brian

Keep in mind military 7.62 brass is usually thicker than commercial 308 Winchester. The thicker brass may develop higher pressure because of the reduced case capacity. Don't automatically assume a safe load in or data derived using commercial 308 brass is safe or as accurate in military brass. Back of your load some when using the military brass and work your way up.

Always check military brass for debris and dirt inside the case. Some military ranges, especially Air Force gunnery ranges are often huge sandboxes. Friend of mine used to shoot up thousands of 762 reloads using an M60. He claims the Israeli military brass is the best, out lasts US.