Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Safeties

donmarkey

Lets hear everyone's opinion on safeties. What you you like/dislike. I'm looking for input on 2 and 3 position side swing safeties (what makes) and other low scope options (timmey and dayton). I won't build another rifle with the piece of junk trigger mounted safeties.

Don

I'm just about ready to try my hand at modifying an original Mauser safety to be a two positon.

My plan is to cut the top of the flag about 2/3 of the way from the end, forge it down far enough to engage while clearing the scope, and welding up the gap and polishing.

If I'm successful I'll post pix.

This is my favorite for scoped use:

An FN style left side safety. Two position. Off, and on & locked. It is the one on the left, the one on right is the cheap GOC knockoff which should be avoided.

user posted image

Installed in the shroud.

user posted image

user posted image

I bought one of those cheap ones on ebay (sold it the next week). With the FN do you have any modifications you have to do to the shroud, like you do for the dayton? Where to you find them nowdays? Any one have any tricks on installing a chapman, Steve Wagner's site has some good pics and info. With the chapman or wisners you don't get the bolt lock feature, right?

"With the chapman or wisners you don't get the bolt lock feature, right?" When I did mine (Win 70 style) you do get the bolt lock feature. A word of advice is to follow Wagner's instructions regarding annealling as bolt shrouds are as hard as woodpecker lips.

In regard to FN style (left-side) swing safeties, I am right-handed, I have a small hand so I find them difficult to disengage with my thumb as they "hide" next to the bell of the scope, I prefer the Dayton Mark II as I disengage it with my trigger finger.

"With the FN do you have any modifications you have to do to the shroud," I have never had to do any, the only mods I have done is perhaps a slight stoning of the cocking piece for smoothness of operation.

The FN style has a notch cut into the shoud. Easy enough to do, They are usually sold as a pair. The notch is what retains the safety. I have a buddy that cuts the original & rewelds it to make an fn style. It uses the "hook" that the original and the GPC part us eto keep it on the shroud.

To each his own, I like it better on the left side since I don't have to move my trigger finger. To be honest though, like when I'm sneaking up on something, I'll wait until I just about get there and then slip it off beforehand. Probably using my left hand.

I have a wisner 3 position side swing and it is a very nice piece. The dakota is pretty nice also. I hate the new NECG version.

DT,

From what little I know about the original FN safeties, they are as scarce as hen's teeth. I have seen them from time to time on eBay and couple of the gun auction sites. I believe them to be one of those parts you just sorta have to know what you're looking for and keep your eyes for. Z, I believe has a couple and claims them to be pretty nice, if not expensive.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jason

I like the FN original commercial safeties except for two things. First, the edges are quite sharp, secondly when the safety is "on" it locks the bolt thus making it impossible to unload the magazine by racking the bolt unless done with the safety in the off position- a definate no-no. The Lee MkII doesn't lock the bolt in the "on" position and also has a bearing ball which really stabilizes the movement of the safety.

I have a trigger block side safety which is british, acquired about 25 years ago, don't remember who made it but it was designed to be used in some Mauser type 98 action. Ocassionally see one, the rear end sits beneath the rear tang screw hole and the rear guard screw passes through it. Looks like cast metal but is as hard as any metal I've ever seen. No problems in 25 years.

Also have a 3 position Win. type safety which I really like, expensive to buy, also to install. I suppose Timney and Bold side safetys are ok, Timneys been around about 40+ years and no obvious law suits that I know of, although I do not have the same certainty about anything made of aluminum that I have about items made of steel. The exception to that rule is an "add on" sheet metal side safety offered in the 50 -60s, it was attached to the sear body with a screw and guided back and forth by two pins set into the sear body, saw one on Ebay a while back, felt sorry for the fellow who bought it. Bill