Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Small Dogs

roscoedoh

Yorkies, chihuahuas, pomeranians, miniature dachshunds...

Why are these little rats so popular these days? Everywhere I look, everyone has puppies for little dogs like these for sale for hundreds of dollars. What makes people buy them? They're loud when they yelp, they pee all over the place when they get excited, and they're absolutely worthless for anything other than keeping your lap warm.

What's the big "thing" that I'm missing here. Somebody please fill me in...

I did physical therapy in the home care setting for 10 years. The only dog that I was ever attacked by, if you can call it that, was a Pomeranian. Twice by the same dog. Both times I reflexively kicked the dog across the room. Then I apologized! LOL. After the second go around the lady took the dog outside and kept it away from me.

I don't get the lap dog thing either.

You need to look around my neck of the woods, seems Pitt Bull mixes are everywhere especially in black and hispanic households. I prefer Rotties and German (or Belgium) Shepards.

About two months ago in a Dr's office a lady wearing enough jewelery to satisfy a whore house. She had a little rat in her purse and the dog decided it was time to take a dump. After treating the waiting room to the smell and tunes she left in tears and didn't return as far as I know. There was an old man in there with portable oxygen that I thought was going to roll over and die he was laughing so hard.

I own a Yorkie.

She's a good alarm dog. Not an attack dog, but an alarm dog. The wife found her for free and I raised her up like I always raise a pup and she is a very disciplined canine.

Jimro

Good for you, all these dogs where breed for a reason. And the yapping ankle biters are the the owners fault. Check out all the guides in africa with jack russel terriers they use for tracking! Well trained and do a job.

I've got a Yorkie. He's the best dog I've ever owned. One other was a close second, and it was a mutt. I had a Shepherd that I gave away. Stupid dog ran off ever chance it got, dug lots of holes, and chewed through the phone line three times. Oh, she also regularly ate her own crap!

The Yorkie loves to play, doesn't eat much, and is a great companion. 6.5 lbs. He doesn't bark that much, unless he thinks someone is at the door. Then he'll love them to death.

He ties with my old Irish Setter for being the most beautiful animal, and he's an eternal toddler in size and disposition. I'd highly recommend a Yorkie to anyone wanting a great pet.

Sir Theodore

Mr. Sandynose

Pure joy

I think all older folks,especially those living alone should have a small dog.No way is someone going to get in the house without them raising hell,or even a fire.People long,long ago that had asthma(sorry about the spelling)believed keeping a chihuahuas in the house and sleeping at the foot of the bed helped their condition.My favorite dogs are Britney Spanials and German Shorthair.I'm an in between size cat I reckon.Jerry

Just my 2 cents worth,

I don't have much use for small dogs but . . . .don't blame the dog, it's the BAD OWNERS! Not the dogs fault, it only does what a dog does. As far as the lap dog thing, I've got two 80lb. lap dogs. Even when everyone think I'm some kind of nutty gun fanatic, they think I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread! The more people that I meet, the more I appreciate my Goldens. There are a rare few humans who I allow to share the duck blind with Dixie and Dusty! They do pose a problem though, Anyone could rob my house. They would welcome you in, show you where all the goodies were and then leave with you because you were there and I wasn't! :lol:

Maybe it has something to do with homeowners insurance. A few years ago my ins co cave me a pretty extensive list of dogs they don't want you to have because liabilies.

I've never heard of anyone being mauled by a pomerainian!

My bengal cat (Asian Leopard Cats) Dinqi Dao (RGRWJB can tell you what that means) weighs nine pounds. My ragdoll cat, Fred, weighs 20 pounds. Both can talk to us. Both growl at strangers. Both tell us when its time to change the litter and the water. Both think their family is all that matters (next to wet food).

I never had a dog, big or small, lay down next to me and purr.

Brad

PS: Where is Karl in all this? I need a friend here.

I refer to the little dogs as "Perpetual Puppies." Also, I think the small breeds are more prone to bite. Right now, I have two dogs: Cheyenne, a Black Mouth Cur, is 65 lbs and about 10 years old. Bubba is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, about 9 months old, and 80 lbs.

I've had some damn fine dogs over the years, and I miss them all. Dusty was 5/8ths Pit Bull, 1/4 Ridgeback, 1/8 Doberman, and while really sweet, she had a look that would scare the shiite out of people. We'd take her to Pre-Med Society picknicks in undergraduate school. She'd just stare at some kid holding food. They'd say, "Nice doggie, here, have my hot dog." She'd leave the picknick so full she could hardly walk. She died in my arms, after waiting for me to get home off of call.

Az,

I had a Norweigian Elk Hound that did that, but she was just excited. I loved her anyway.

My cats never pee anywhere except in the litter box. And sometimes I really admire their courage for doing that.

B.

Doc,

Didn't mean to pass your post. I've had critters (dogs and cats) that I prayed someone would steal. But, oh my god, I've had some that were the critters I loved most. When they were gone the pain and emptiness was indescribable. How the the heck could you hurt that much...and how come they never leave your heart? I'm thinking they were sent here for a reason, much beyond barking, pooping, yowling in the middle of the night or crabbing at you about something.

I guess they lead us out of the human day-to-day existence and connect us to the rest of the world, whether they are noble cats, big brute dogs, or little yappers that hate everybody except their masters.

Sheesh, where's Karl when I need him.

B.

Brad,

I've always had cats. My cats, for the most part, live outside. I did have a tomcat who I'd let inside, but he would always wake me up or come get my attention when he wanted out. As cats go, he was pretty cool. He'd always run out to meet my truck in the evenings when I got home and followed me around like a little dog. He even followed me around the woods when I went hunting or hiking near the house. There is nothing wrong with cats that I am aware of. They eat mice, rats, and large insects and general keep my house free of vermin. They're also low maintenance animals and are quite happy if you're too busy to take them for a walk.

With all that said, I love dogs too and plan on adopting one as soon as I figure out who to finish the fence out back and hang a gate on it. What astonishes me is when I read the paper or craigslist looking for puppies, everyone has those dern pipsqueak chihuahuas and yorkies for sale. No beagles, no hounds, no labs. I want a hunting dog. I must be totally alone because I can't seem to find puppies around here anywhere. I guess people don't use dogs to hunt or hike anymore - they seem to be totally in the dog business to make $400 puppies. Are so it seems around here.

I'll probably just go to the dog pound and pick out a mutt. Mutts seem to be most trouble free, loving dogs of them all anyway...

Brad,

I guess people don't use dogs to hunt or hike anymore

I think you may be right. Last summer I was walking my golden on the beach up north and came across a couple walking their lab, after the usually nice dog comments, I asked if he hunted. Their response was "like what? animals?" needless to say I just kept walking and threw a stick in the water for my girl to chase.

-Don

I've had a number of smaller dogs, mostly curs and mutts. The meanest dog i ever owned was a chawawa (i can't spell). Had a cur one time, buddy, he was 8months old and treeing his own squirrel, a fine dog untill dad let him loose and that dam neighbor woman ran him over. Then there was Fido (buddy's dad).lol. He was a mutt, couldn't hear at all, couldn't see very well, was scared to death of a gun, but for me, i could point to a brush pile and he would jump the rabbit, run it back to me, and i'd shoot and hed come sit at my feet lookin at me. Best dog i've ever owned, one heck of a game dog. he died a few years ago at the ripe old age of 18. Now i have a pick up dog, found her on the road. Dingo is the name and shes the uglyest dog you've ever seen but the smartest and most loyal. I turned her loose the other night on a squirrel, and out of nowhere, she absoutly slammed the tree, shes a natural. Stray dogs and mutts, best dogs i've ever had. But i do have two powerful walker coon hounds, its ashame i quit hunting, those dogs just stay on the chain, but there good company, and my oversized "lap" dogs.lol

Brenden

OMG you guys! I just got home from work and midnights told me an unbelievable story.

I found out tonight that my department responded to a frantic call from a resident about his dog being attacked.

Seems a Raccoon got ahold of the dog and took it up a tree. I wouldn't have believed it except that I listened to the 911 call and the officer that responded told us that the raccoon was absolutely huge.

What kind of dog was it? A few years ago one of our out door cats came home all beat up, we thought he got in another cat fight. His neck was torn up bad enough I though he was going to need stitches. The next day I talked to one of my neighbors and he told me there was blood from one side of his garage to the other, it looked like a massacure took place. He later fould a dead raccoon curled up in a box. That was one bad barn cat, I miss him, he was so nice and he loved my dog, they'd come running at each other from across the field everytime he came home.

-Don

So what happened to the dog? Did they rescue it or did the raccoon kill it?

From what I understand, the dog is fine and they didn't destroy the raccoon. I was sort of surprised they didn't.

I don't know what kind of dog it was, I was told one of those "Paris Hilton" dogs.

Don, one of my ex girlfriends lived out in the country, they raised chickens, rabbits and had a huge garden. Something was stealing from the garden at night and it was thought to be a raccoon. One morning the cat came home all beat up, nothing serious just some fur missing and some good scrapes. We figure she got into it with the raccoon. The night time garden raiding stopped after that night.