Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Newest Build--300 Win Mag

Sailormilan2

Here is my newest build. I have been working on it for sometime, actually, working around it. I finally got some bedding compound and finished it. It is a 300 Win Mag on a M98 action, it started as a Santa Fe Imperial Mauser Sporter Mod. R. -159 Golden State Arms Corp. Pasadena Calif. (all that is stamped on the barrel). The barrel was a 2 Groove 1903 Springfield barrel, rethreaded, then rechambered to 300 Win Mag.

I installed a new Mauser Mk-X style(roll marked with import mark under the barrel) 300 Win Mag barrel. The stock is a blem Bastogne Walnut stock from Richards MicroFit. It is finished with 3 coats of Gloss MiniWax Wipe On PolyUrethane that I sprayed on. Notice, it is a left handed stock for my lefty son.

I put one of the cheezy Numrich/Sarco aftermarket hinged triggergaurds that I reworked. I found that the magazine box is slightly shallower than it should be, leaving a gap between its top and the receiver. This catches the follower causing feeding problems with the last shot. I will probably have to fill that gap with AcraGlass then file/rasp smooth when hard.

I installed a Bold trigger with side safey.

Now, I need to finish my 300 Win Mag and return the 300 Win Mag reamer and headspaces gauges to the group. I have to repolish it, then send off to have it blued. Then drive down to Richards Microfit and pick out a stock.

post-13-1209432011_thumb.jpg

post-13-1209432026_thumb.jpg

Hey bro where's the pics. all I got is a red x..But on the other note,Congrats anyway. I was proud too when I built the 8mm 300 win mag...Post the pics in photo bucket then post them here.....Dave

Holy Toledo dude!!! That's an awsome looker!!! When ya think you will test fire it? Did ya make that bench rest,looks functional.. Do ya need any brass for yer 300 mag. I got more than I need!!If ya want some ,pm or email me. That is nice...Dave

I agree with Dave, a real looker. Same for the 2 in the other thread - wild piece of maple on your brother's gun. I've worked in metal all my life so my eyes go straight to the wood first.

• 1 month later...

Brian, the stock is a Richards Micro Fit blem. Since the Richards factory is about 2 hours from my house, I drive down to pick out my wood. We have gotten several blems from there, most have small fixable blems. This one was actually inletted off a bit, but again, it isn't noticable.

This rifle started life as a Golden State Arms Company Mauser conversion. Probably done in the 50s or 60s. The barrel originally was a 2 groove Springfield -03 barrel that was rethreaded to fit a '98 action. Someone later rechambered it to 300 Win Mag, so I have no clue as to who did the bolt.

I do still have the old barrel lying around if anybody wants it. I had refinished it in KG Coatings SS finish. But that will come off easily with a bead blaster.

Here are two more Richards MicroFit blems. The top one is a Maple stock. The blem is a small crack near the recoil pad. No big deal since I need to trim the stock more to fit, and I will be cutting that out. The bottom stock has a small knot, about 1/4" in diameter, on the left side below the bolt shroud.

376Steyrs3B.jpg

376Steyrs4.JPG

Brian, the stock is a Richards Micro Fit blem. Since the Richards factory is about 2 hours from my house, I drive down to pick out my wood. We have gotten several blems from there, most have small fixable blems.

So do you take orders?

I would certainly understand you keeping the nicest 'blem' for yourself.

Maybe there are a few other nice 'blems' left behind when you leave?

So what does a nice 'blem' run anyway?

Tinker

TinkerFive, they run about $100+ depending on the wood etc. I plan on going down in a couple of weeks, need to pick out the wood for my 300 Win Mag. I will let you know before I go and you can give me an idea of what to look for.