Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Auto Ordnance Pistols

Ron J

A friend is looking at trading for a Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 .45. It shows no model # just West Hurley NY. I'm unfamiliar with 1911's in general. This is very basic, no work done. Rear sight is windage adjustable only. Seems solid. He's gonna trade a Savage 17HMR, w/scope a couple years old, never fired. Does anyone here know if they're okay, junk, average...?

Thanks in advance, Ron.

Walnut,

1911's are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you're never sure what you're going to get.

Some require some work. The better outfits usually require less work than the lesser outfits. Auto ordinance was respectable (and may still be) but was recently aquired by Kahr (whom I don't personally like).

1911's are kind-of like AR-15s. The blueprints are out there and were designed by Browning himself (OK so Browning didn't design the AR, Stoner did, the point is that it and they were well-designed) and so if the design was followed (and it surely was) the pistol will be good. Parts are cheap and everywhere. Chances are that the pistol your friend wants to trade for is good. If it isnt' chances are that it won't take too much work to make it good. The question is whether your friend is willing to accept the risk that fine tuning may be required.

A 1911 like that in excellent condition is worth 5 -600 which is more than any HMR that I'm aware of, even wearing a Leupold.

The trade is probably good, but unless there's a clear reason why the owner of the 1911 needs an HMR, I'd be thinking that the pistol probably needs some work.

If it were me and probably you we'd welcome the prospect of fine-tuning. Not everyone sees their firearms this way (although they should, if you can't make your own guns run right you're not independent).

Thanks DT. It seemed like it was whatever AO sold it as, meaning it didn't look abused. He claimed they sell for 350 new which seemed low to me.

It seems to me that the older AO pistols didn't have the best reputation. From what I recall, AO was trying to improve their reputation as regards pistols within the last year or two.

It might be worth googling 'Auto Ordnance pistol' to see what info is out there on the subject.

Look here:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/pr_ot0405.html

1999, Kahr Arms purchased Thompson/Auto-Ordnance. Along with any physical assets included in the buyout were certain intangibles, among these, name recognition and reputation. In the case of Auto-Ordnance, it would be best to consider these as liabilities. The passing of ownership was, as they say, noted by many and mourned by few. You see, Auto-Ordnance, which once had a great reputation along with a colorful history, had managed to acquire a less than sterling repute in the manufacture of 1911 pistols. We're unaware of any collector groups for these dogs, but there may well be support groups for the unlucky owners - you know, like for parents of troubled children. The point of all this is that Kahr Arms not only had to marshal their considerable expertise and ultra modern equipment to produce quality 1911 pistols, but they have also had to fight to overcome the stigma associated with the name of the company they now own.

(there's more ...)