Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Help, Going To Cmp Next Time Home.

spec4 e4

Ok, wife ok me to get the rifles that I have been after for an while. M1 Garand and Carbine, plus ammo. Questions are as followed

1. What do I need when I go? What type of ID, money?

2. What to look for in the M1 Garand?

3. What to look for in the M1 Carbine?

4. Are in store price diffent from their website?

These will be my 1st M1 by the way.

Thanks all.

Rob

Regarding number 1, do you meet their published pre-requisites? I've never bought from them, but they don't sell to anybody off the street. You have to be military, or affiliated with a CMP club of some sort. I haven't checked in a while, but look at their website to make sure you qualify to purchase before you make a trip.

Definately check out their website for the requirements. If you have further questions, call them in advance or check the CMP forum.

I bought my first Garand last spring, shipped to my door, it was a relatively painless process.

What to look for depends on what you want in the end.

I planned to build a "new" M1 for JCG. I bought one of the "woodless Danes" replaced the worn parts, bought new stock hardware and ordered a new stock and barrel. Then I'll find a smith to rebarrel and repark. I'm not that far yet.

If you're keeping it as is, I think I'd look for the same thing I'd look for in any other firearms purchase. You can easily replace any worn small parts. Barrels are another matter.

Definitely contact CMP if you have questions - they're the only government-related agency that I've actually enjoyed dealing with! They're nice folks who are genuinely interested in promoting the shooting sports. They got started as Congressional Mandate after marksmanship problems during WWI. They're operating independently now, but with Federal cooperation, but Pelosi wants them shut down. They try to keep a low profile, and they're the best deal for US milsurps anywhere. Buying guns from them is a no-brainer. You WILL NOT loose money.

See their website for information: www.odcmp.com

Regarding Garands (I've tried but have been unable to become interested in M1 carbines...I'd rather have another 1911) I would recommend ordering one of the Service Grade rifles:

From their website:

RM1SAS M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Service Grade $595.00 Please allow 60-90 days for delivery.

RM1HRAS M1 Garand, Harrington & Richardson, Service Grade $595.00 Please allow 60-90 days for delivery.

If it were me I'd go with the Harrington & Richardson because they're less common and will be worth more resale. Either rifles in this grade will likely be reasonable shooters.

Keep in mind that these are OLD rifles that have most likely seen REAL WAR. They will be used. Even on the Service Grade rifles you'll probably need to install new springs and they'll probably have "personality".

With some care you will have an exceptionally well-designed and historic rifle. It will likely shoot under 4" at 100 yds with M2 ball ammo (which is still reasonably priced through cmp - the Greek surplus is good ammo).

I hope that you will buy one of these rifles. This is a rare opportunity that won't last forever. When its gone these rifle will instantly become worth $1000 regardless of condition. Special or less-common variants will become worth more.

But the best part of having these rifles is that you can shoot them in John C. Garand matches that are held in cooperation with CMP all over the country. These are GREAT low pressure matches where learning to compete in rifle matches is the main goal. Newcomers are welcomed with open arms - you will be a celebrety (until you start beating the regulars, and then they'll want details about your technique).

The field and rack grade rifles will need more serious work than the service grade rifles will. They'll likely need springs, small parts, maybe a new stock, and maybe recrowining ore a new barrel. Rebarreling a Garand isn't necessarily difficult, but its more involved than rebarreling a Mauser without sights. Barrel timing is an issue with Garands, and you don't have the option of just setting it back another thread if you screw-up - the machinig for bolt lock-up and bullet feeding get in the way. It's not hard unless you make a mistake.

So for a first Garand I suggest that the service grade is money well-spent. If you get into working on them and rebarreling, then the rack grades become very attractive. I just posted about some work I did on a rack grade here:

Regarding their requirements: They require that you are the member of a club that holds shooting competitions, and that you have actual competition experience. The club membership can be in the Garand Collectors Association, but you will still need some evidence that you have shot in a match. I believe that your military experience will serve for this, so you may be able to just join GCA (but I'd recommend joining a club where you can shoot in a Garand match - its a good thing to do [as Martha would say]).

Qualification for a CMP gun is even easier now. You no longer have to prove match experience. They will accept any sort of proof that you have had firearms training of just about any type. An NRA course completion certificate, a Concealed Weapons Permit, a military DD214, law enforcement experience, etc., are all acceptable. You DO have to be a member of an organization that is affiliated with the CMP, and the Garand Collectors Association his highly recommended. They publish a newsletter/magazine that is packed with interesting info. Cost to belong is minimal.

By all means, get a CMP Garand. I also happen to love the M1 carbine, and theirs are a really good deal.

Clemson

Thanks all. I have an account where I can buy an rifle and ammo. I was thinking of getting an HRA in the Correct Grade, but the serice grade look good too. Looking at going in first week or second week of June. Taking my cousin with me so we can make an round trip without staying in the hotel room. Looking at getting 4 creates of ammo also. :P Wife ok me to spend up too $2000.00 on this trip, not including gas and food.

Thanks

Rob

be advised that "correct grade" does not mean all original as left the factory. CMP staff takes "incorrect" rifles and restores them to "correct." nothin wrong with what they do, and a CMP rifle is probably the only circumstance where "corrected" will mean anything to a collector, but it is not "original."

for history, get a service grade. they shoot, too.

Rob, does she have any sisters???

Yes AzRednek, but you don't want her, she is like an door knob where everyone had an turn and she will SUCK out your money faster then your heart beat. She even tried with me. Put an stop to it before it started. She asked me out before I started dating my wife. Just say no. I know an good girl from an bad one. :lol:

Rob

Yes AzRednek, but you don't want her, she is like an door knob where everyone had an turn and she will SUCK out your money faster then your heart beat. She even tried with me. Put an stop to it before it started. She asked me out before I started dating my wife. Just say no. I know an good girl from an bad one. :lol:

Rob

:o I THINK I'VE MET HER BEFORE!!!!!! :D

QUOTE (spec4 e4 @ May 13 2008, 10:53 AM)

Yes AzRednek, but you don't want her, she is like an door knob where everyone had an turn and she will SUCK out your money faster then your heart beat. She even tried with me. Put an stop to it before it started. She asked me out before I started dating my wife. Just say no. I know an good girl from an bad one.

Rob

I THINK I'VE MET HER BEFORE!!!!!!

Sucker.(joking)

Rob