Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My New Rifle , Whaddy'a Think?

Gothmog

Ok, here are some pics. No range pics but the Tavor and some targets ...

Tavor2.jpg

Right hand side view. I just realized that I should have put a mag in the rifle ... oh well. redface.gif

Tavor3.jpg

Left side view.

Tavor4.jpg

View of left hand side of rifle. Note cocking handle location.

Tavor6.jpg

Angle view, iron sights deployed.

Tavor7.jpg

Side view, iron sights deployed.

Tavor8.jpg

View from back of Tavor, BUIS and front sight deployed.

target100a.jpg

100 yard 5 round group.

targetDTvarious.jpg

Double Tapping and switching targets, shots from 20 to 40 yards, target 1.

Dang Goth,I don't know what to think.I know nothing of a Tavor.What caliber is it? Is it used by any military?It looks way complicated and hi-tech.I imagine it's an expensive rig.I sure would like to shoot that sucker.Jerry

Dang Goth,I don't know what to think.I know nothing of a Tavor.What caliber is it? Is it used by any military?It looks way complicated and hi-tech.I imagine it's an expensive rig.I sure would like to shoot that sucker.Jerry

Its chambered in .223/5.56 and is being used by the Israelis. It was developed by IMI to provide troops with a firearm more suitable for urban warfare. My friend (the importer) insisted on a 18.5" barrel so it would be non restricted in Canada.

It is expensive ... the semi auto 'commercial version' is $3000 plus applicable taxes.

And if you want to shoot it, just plan a vacation out my way. :)

Is that what the Canadian and Brit soldiers are using these days?

Looks familiar from some footage that I've seen on Liveleak.

No its what Canadian civilians are using these days. :P Our soldiers are using the Canadian version of the M16.

The shipment has just arrived after about 2 years of sorting out details. I was out shooting mine yesterday.

I think you are right about Liveleak, and Youtube for that matter. There was an episode of Future Weapons dedicated to it and excerpts from it have popped up in those places.

Very cool. Do you have any problems getting 30 rd mags up there? I'm stocking up on them for my AR down here.

There's a 3-gun match at our club coming up this Sat. That would be a perfect carbine for it. Do you Canucks have matches that you can shoot your Tavor in?

Shooting in matches has really helped my shooting. And its damn fun.

We should all have an evil black rifle though.

Workin' on it!!! (Should own a couple very soon!)

Goth,

I love the new rifle. Bull pups never have been my "thing," but I do like the Izzy's newest rifle. I saw that episode of Future Weapons and it looks like the Israelis really put some thought into this one. Further, I'm impressed that you managed to get one loose from the Israelis. I wouldn't think they'd export something this new just yet?

Very cool. Do you have any problems getting 30 rd mags up there? I'm stocking up on them for my AR down here.

There's a 3-gun match at our club coming up this Sat. That would be a perfect carbine for it. Do you Canucks have matches that you can shoot your Tavor in?

Shooting in matches has really helped my shooting. And its damn fun.

Mags are readily available, but we must limit them to 5 rounds by pinning them with a rivet or some other 'not easily altered' means ... yeah, I know, it sucks!

I run action rifle matches locally, and have done so for the past 4 years ... in Canada!

Check out my web site:

tacrifle.com

Goth,

I love the new rifle. Bull pups never have been my "thing," but I do like the Izzy's newest rifle. I saw that episode of Future Weapons and it looks like the Israelis really put some thought into this one. Further, I'm impressed that you managed to get one loose from the Israelis. I wouldn't think they'd export something this new just yet?

Well, we paid through the nose to get them and there's not a whole lot of margin for dealers on that fairly steep price tag. That means the Israelis get the lion's share of the cash ... money talks, perhaps? ;)

We managed to get many more than one of these, as the first 300 are in the process of arriving right now (some have already been delivered) and there will be substantially more to come. There is much joy in Canada for the time being.

Very nice indeed.

What happaned to all those "Gun control laws" ?

You are doing better than in Canada than I am in Cali. : )

karl

We still have gun control laws, but some things aren't affected as badly as some of US states. OTOH, at least you can move to a different state if you don't like the laws there. Changing countries is more difficult ...

I run action rifle matches locally, and have done so for the past 4 years ... in Canada!

Check out my web site:

tacrifle.com

Fantastic! You rock, Gothmog (for a Canadian, and much better than a Californian [and I can say that because I used to be one {but that was when Reagan was Governator}}).