Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Round Nose Cast Bullets In A Win 94?

mikeh3

I can't comment on a Winchester 94 but I have used round nose cast and jacketed bullets in my Marlin 30/30 with a tube mag. I'm not familiar with the your particular bullet and mold. I have used a Lee 170gr flat nose in my Marlin and found it more accurate than lighter weight cast bullets. Years ago I shot some gas checked cast bullets weighing apx 220 grs in my Marlin. The same bullet did well in my 03 Springfield but it was all over the target when shot out of my Marlin and it had a tendency to jam as the over all length was a bit to long using the bullet's top crimp groove. If I seated the bullet deeper and beyond the crimp groove the pressure in the tube mag would shove the bullet in even deeper. Might not be a problem with a crimp groove if you use the Lee factory crimp die.

• 3 weeks later...

If you use a lubrasizer you can always use a flat point punch and a bit of extra effort to flatten the nose.

I have that same bullet mold and it aint exactly a spitzer. It has about the same profile as hornady's 30-30 bullet.

If you use a lubrasizer you can always use a flat point punch and a bit of extra effort to flatten the nose.

I have that same bullet mold and it aint exactly a spitzer. It has about the same profile as hornady's 30-30 bullet.

I use the Lyman 170 gr round nose in my Model 94 all the time. I load them to 1600 to 1800 fps and have no trouble with primer denting. The bullet -311291-- is very round on the end and not much differnt form the profile on many 30/30 factory bullets. It is also superbly accurate in this little lever gun.

we shoot round nose jacketed in our win 94's so the cast should be fine if lubed and crimped..just my .035 worth..Dave