Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turk/Argy update

Pedestal

Please excuse my ignorance, but who is PTG?

5287[/snapback]

Pacific Tool and gage. They make all the reamers for midway too, even the ETC brand.

I believe they are in oregon. I didn't have any info handy at the time. you can click on their link at Midway's website. I get al my reamers from them, good guy Dave Kiff is.

Actually, bilurey-

There's a 30-06 on one of the auction sites right now.

The gun's not ugly, a full length stock, but the seller--a dealer in PA--refers to the "original barrel."

It's an original 7.65 barrel with a s/n that matches the 1909 receiver.

Doesn't seem to deter the bidding, so far.

Although it's still below what you might pay for a nice 09 action.

If I weren't so lazy I'd email the seller and see if the magazine has been lengthened.

Dollars to doughnuts it hasn't.

flaco

I'm still obsessed with the 7.65. Especially if, as Z says, they're ballistically somewhere between the .308 and the 30-06.

The 30-06 kicks too much for me, and I'd choose the 308 for it's accuracy... if I didn't have to look at the cases.

Am I the only one who thinks they're ugly?

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.asp

Pacific Tool and Gauge

PO BOX 2549 - 598 Ave C

White City, Oregon 97503

1-541-826-5808 FAX: 541-826-5304

I never had much use for the .308 until I got one. Sure, the .30-06 is better, especially with heavier bullets, but I've grown to respect the .308. Enough so that I've bought built or bartered for 5 of them in the last year or two. I've built a few more but they went on to find new homes.

One thing in favor of it and the .30-06 is lots of cheap factory ammo and bullet selection second to none.

A lot of my selection criteria for cartridges is based on what ifs. For the what ifs I've come up with the .30-06 fits the bill. Now, if we want to talk about reality, the things I've actually hunted and am likely to hunt in the near future, the .308 would be a replacement that I could find no fault in.

For all intents and purposes, these three cartridges are so similar as to be triplets.