Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sog Vz-24

bobmoffett

Thanks Don. The last scrubbed VZ 24 I bought sight-unseen, looked like someone had taken a 4" hand grinder to it. I may have a small ring before I can can eliminate the grinding marks! Other scrubbed receivers I have seen were easily resurfaced. I figured for the price SOG is asking they would not be prestine, but hopefully not pitted or otherwise extremely rough.

My concern is the good chance of heavy pitting under the wood line from the horror stories that I have heard. I was lucky in doing a FTF for my VZ-24 rifle a couple years ago, and able to see that the rifle was in great shape. The scrubbed receiver was in excellent condition with no pitting. Got it for an even $100 and sold the stock for $24. The barrel bore was pitted badly and provided me with a practice barrel for threading SR Turks.

J&G has the VZ's and the Brazilian '08's, and the Brazilian is probably even more prone to having a pitted receiver.

Spiris