Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Used Lyman Turrett Press

tinkerfive

I've been looking for a while to get started.

I don't want to pay more than necessary but don't want to buy junk either.

A local fellow is selling a Lyman turrett ( 6 station? ) press and is asking $250.

Assuming that it is in good working order, does this sound like something that I

should jump on? Do I need to ask / be concerned about threading the dies into the plate or does

Lyman use the most common thread type?

Advice please.

I don't know how long it's going to last, the guy isn't 'holding' it for me.

Tinker

The 1950's design Lyman turret press is a fine press and uses standard size dies, but 250 is ridicules, offer him 50. To keep the seller honest (he obviously isn't) take a look at closed auctions on Ebay. Chances are good a Lyman turret press has sold in the past 30 days. If you want a turret press, look at Lee's. www.leeprecision.com

Tinker, ask the guy if he wants you to buy the lube as well. holy hell. Hes trying to give you a screwing. I looked and looked forever when i was first getting started and there was lee. Get the complet kit they offer, the anniversity kit. If i remember correctly you get the press, pouder measuer, funnel, scale, primer tool, case trimming tools, and shell holders and loading manual for $100 or a little over. I my self have no need for a turret, single stage works just fine and doesn't allow you to get in any hurry, and i feel is better for producing quality ammo. I've got the lee kit and i love it, cheap but very dependable and just as well made as any of them. Your just paying for the name on alot of them. Just me talking though.....

Brenden

Tinker, ask the guy if he wants you to buy the lube as well. holy hell. Hes trying to give you a screwing. I looked and looked forever when i was first getting started and there was lee. Get the complet kit they offer, the anniversity kit. If i remember correctly you get the press, pouder measuer, funnel, scale, primer tool, case trimming tools, and shell holders and loading manual for $100 or a little over. I my self have no need for a turret, single stage works just fine and doesn't allow you to get in any hurry, and i feel is better for producing quality ammo. I've got the lee kit and i love it, cheap but very dependable and just as well made as any of them. Your just paying for the name on alot of them. Just me talking though.....

Brenden

I bought the Lee kit in 1992 and still have it. most of it is okay but the powder measure and the scale are junk.

I replaced them with a RCBS scale and a Redding powder measure.

I'd start off with a single stage press, years ago I bought a rcbs starter kit, the press was a small alum. press, worked just fine. Now I use a rcbs rock chucker, a lot nicer press, but I still use the old small press and have a universal depriming die in it. Comes in handy now and then. I've got some great deals at gun shows, pawn shops ect.

Do your home work and know what the equipment sells for new between the different brands before you buy anything used. I usually try not to pay more than 50%- 60% of new price for loading equipment. I don't know if ebay still will let you sell loading equipment or not but in the past I've bought a lot of things there.

I don't know if ebay still will let you sell loading equipment or not but in the past I've bought a lot of things there.

Ebay allows reloading equipment but not components. Strange one can buy or sell bullet molds but not bullets on Ebay. There are a couple of Eaby sellers that will drop ship directly from Lee at pretty good prices. Do not, unless you have a very patient personality and are very mechanically inclined, buy a Lee Loadmaster. Check Lee's website before buying a press on Ebay.

Lee's website

Lee Turret press on ebay

For starting out in reloading, like starting out in other things, pick a budget then try to keep it. You can start out for $20 or whatever one of those Lee Loaders goes for and you can go to thousands for a top of the line Dillon with every accessory. I started out 32 years ago with a RCBS Jr., which I still have, then upgraded to a Dillon 550B. If you have the money, starting out with the Dillon 550B would be the way to go. If you are on a limited budget, then RCBS or Lyman or other name brand will get you started. Some of the Lee stuff is good, some is questionable. Look/ask around for what works. I like their boolit moulds and their crimping dies, for instance.

I've never used a turrett press so I can't comment on those. However, stuff you'll need to get started are: Press, powder measure, scale, reloading manual, dies. Always buy carbide dies if they are available. With carbide dies, you don't need to use lube with pistol cases. For rifle cases, you can use a case lube pad and goo or Dillon's spray on case lube and a cookie sheet from the spouse when she isn't looking.

If you are on a limited budget, then RCBS or Lyman or other name brand will get you started. Some of the Lee stuff is good, some is questionable.

I agree some of Lee's stuff is questionable, some like the Lee Loadmaster is out right junk. The newer Lee Classic Cast Press and Classic Turret are high quality tools. Not to be confused with other non Classic Lee presses.

I strongly encourage you to invest in the best single stage press you can afford for starters. Chances are good you will have it for a lifetime. My RCBS JR press I purchased about 71 is still mounted to my bench and I still use it to load rifle ammo. I really want to push my point, avoid the Lee Loadmaster like it has a nasty plague.

Do web searches and look at RCBS, Hornady, Lyman and Redding's websites. If your budget allows it and you will be loading large quantities of pistol ammo Dillons progressive equipment is absolutely the best way to go. You will still need a quality single stage press if you will ever be doing caliber reforming like making 7.65 Argie or 7.7 Jap from 30/06.

I began reloading back in the '80s, when I was married.

I lost all my rifles in the divorce, and it took me about 20 years to start shooting again.

When I resumed reloading, I started with a Lyman T Mag 2.

It's a fine press.

I only replaced it because I'm convinced that for target shooting the Forster Co-Ax is better.

flaco