Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bedding A 98 In The Origonal Stock...

brian923

pics added!!!hey guys, just the i noticed a crack forming in my mauser. its cracked inside the action cut out and is starting to crack down the grip area of the stock. i would like to pin the stock and keep it because i believe the rifle to be a micthell mauser and all the part numbers match. even the upper handgaurd piece. my thougts were to bed the action since i was going to use the glass bedding material to pin the stock.

i was just wondering what the best way to bed the origonal stock was? i can find a lot of info on bedding it into a new sporterized stock, but nothing about using the origonal military stock.

thanks for the help guys, brian

hey guys, just the i noticed a crack forming in my mauser. its cracked inside the action cut out and is starting to crack down the grip area of the stock. i would like to pin the stock and keep it because i believe the rifle to be a micthell mauser and all the part numbers match. even the upper handgaurd piece. my thougts were to bed the action since i was going to use the glass bedding material to pin the stock.

i was just wondering what the best way to bed the origonal stock was? i can find a lot of info on bedding it into a new sporterized stock, but nothing about using the origonal military stock.

thanks for the help guys, brian

Bedding is bedding.

Clean and rough up the area to be bedded, apply a release agent to the barreled action. Use modeling clay to form dams and to fill areas that may cause mechanical lock.

Did you meant Mitchell Mauser?

Mitchell is just a company that sells mauser (and other firearms) at exorbitant prices.

If you want to bed this stock, or any other stock, make sure its grease free before you apply the bedding compound. Then, bed it like you would any other wooden stock. You may bed a military stock just like a sporter stock.

One tip I'll pass on is to use your children's Play-do to for dams instead of molding clay. Play-do eventually dries out and flakes off and doesn't leave the greasy mess behind that modeling clay does. A local gunsmith passed that tip onto me a few years ago and its been handy knowledge. Also, I use Johnson's Paste Wax as a release agent. Apply a layer or two of this to everything and anything you don't want the bedding compound to stick to. Use a heat gun to remove it later.

thanks guys.

i have found out through some website searching, is that i have a german kar 98k. (or so i think) heres some pics of the rifle and the pin fix i did. does it look okay? ill probably shoot it first and then decied if i want to bed it, so to see if it makes a differeance or not. thanks again, brian.

mauserkar98k001.jpg

mauserkar98k005.jpg

mauserkar98k006.jpg

since i have you guys reading.... i was thinking of maybe adding a scope mount to the rifle. i would like to find an origonal, or remake of the side mounting system that was used back in the war time era. it seems though, that they need to be drilled into the reciever. now, if i were to do this, would it devalue the rifle? i mean, i know drilling it would devalue it, but is it really worth anything? like in the thouands that i shouldnt touch it??? will using an origanal scope mount not devalue since its from the time period, or are there manufacturing marks that show a "sniper made"rifle from an infantry rifle??

like these.........

http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/cl...rman/German.htm

to make it look like this..

mauserk98sweptbackzf4scopemount.jpg

where would the best place be to find a setup with the mount and the scope?

thanks guys, brian

...use your children's Play-do to for dams instead of molding clay. Play-do eventually dries out and flakes off and doesn't leave the greasy mess behind that modeling clay does....

Be careful of Playdoh, roscoe. It contains salt, which is definitely not good for the bluing. I would recommend sticking with modeling clay.

Clemson

• 3 months later...

Drilling for a scope will devalue the rifle, even if its original. The snipers were different from the regular infantry rifles in that the recievers were thickened. I would keep it as is. Bedding will devalue if it isnt a mitchells. Mitchells mausers are extremely modded and refurbed by Mitchells, and many believe that they force match the rifles.

Is it import marked?

BTW, scopes for the mauser(original German) will be extremely expensive, so I would advise against buying one unless you have a sniper to put it on. Just my $.02