Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1903 Turk Vs. 1910 Turk Both Intermediate

tinkerfive

I picked up some receivers that I picked out last week and was prepared to get a few 1910 Orbendorf Turks as well.

I had a few spare 03Turk spare bolts so I took one with me just to be sure and I'm glad that I did.

Using the handle notch in the rear bridge as a reference, the bolt would go in and turn as far as the 45* section but

wouldn't turn any more. This had the handle stopping at about the 1:30 position and of course it needed to go to 3:00.

Unfortunately I only took the one bolt but, I tried it in 5 receivers all with the same result; so it wasn't as if there was

dirt or something in one.

Is there some dimensional difference between an 03 and an 1910?

I was going to take a few and leave the rest for Tanglewood.

He got some intermediate bolts lately. Maybe he has the magic ones

that fit this action. I wish mine fit, I'd have liked to have at least a few.

Tinker :angry:

I picked up some receivers that I picked out last week and was prepared to get a few 1910 Orbendorf Turks as well.

I had a few spare 03Turk spare bolts so I took one with me just to be sure and I'm glad that I did.

Using the handle notch in the rear bridge as a reference, the bolt would go in and turn as far as the 45* section but

wouldn't turn any more. This had the handle stopping at about the 1:30 position and of course it needed to go to 3:00.

Unfortunately I only took the one bolt but, I tried it in 5 receivers all with the same result; so it wasn't as if there was

dirt or something in one.

Is there some dimensional difference between an 03 and an 1910?

I was going to take a few and leave the rest for Tanglewood.

He got some intermediate bolts lately. Maybe he has the magic ones

that fit this action. I wish mine fit, I'd have liked to have at least a few.

Tinker :angry:

The 03 Turks have a standard bolthead. The 1910 Mexicans have a shorter than standard bolt head. Meaning from the rear of the lug to the front of the bolt. Is that as clear as mud? :D

"The 03 Turks have a standard bolthead. The 1910 Mexicans have a shorter than standard bolt head. Meaning from the rear of the lug to the front of the bolt. Is that as clear as mud? biggrin.gif"

Rojelio

So are you saying that a Turk and a Mexican are the same thing other than the hand guard ring?

The Mexicans are 1.1 threads aren't they. This action defiantly had the standard Turk .98 thread barrel on it.

Tinker

"The 03 Turks have a standard bolthead. The 1910 Mexicans have a shorter than standard bolt head. Meaning from the rear of the lug to the front of the bolt. Is that as clear as mud? biggrin.gif"

Rojelio

So are you saying that a Turk and a Mexican are the same thing other than the hand guard ring?

The Mexicans are 1.1 threads aren't they. This action defiantly had the standard Turk .98 thread barrel on it.

Tinker

What I was trying to say is if you took a Mexican receiver and stuck an 03 Turk bolt in it, you will see that the nose of the bolt protrudes a little past the "C" ring (primary torque shoulder). As Don said, if you were rebarreling, you could counterbore the barrel like a remington and it will work. However, if the Mex already has a barrel on it, the Turk bolt will not close as you were experiencing.

Rojelio

Mexican 1910 and 1936 are small rings with small ring threads. The 1903 bolt will work in them if you counterbore the barrel for the bolt head to recess into.

Don

I just tried 3 bolts in a sr mex receiver and a 03 turk rifle.

1. 1910 mex bolt

2. 03 turk bolt

3. yugo 48 bolt

All the bolts would work in the mex but the 03 and the 48 would need the barrel to be recessed slightly.

All the bolts fit and close in the complete 03 rifle but since the barrel is mounted I'm not sure how the 48 and 1910 bolts align with the c-ring.

I know from experience that a turk 03 bolt can be used with a yugo receiver

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=6970

Sounds like you have found a gold mone some where.

Kenny

EDTED: Ball doesn't list a 1910 Turk in his book. Could it be that your 1910 receiver is something else altogether?

There are only 4 model 1910 mausers I know of. Mexican, Uraguayan, Serbian, Costa Rican. The Serb and the costa rican use the Yugo style enclosed bolt face. the Mexican is an altogether different animal. And I'm not sure what the Uraguayan is.

A mexican bolt in a Yugo or other intermediate bolt length receiver would be a bad thing. Grossly excess headspace results.

Any true intermediate length bolt (not the Mexican 1910 or 1936) can be made to work in any intermediate length 98 action. Some assembly may be required. :lol: Alternately, if you are building from the ground up an intermediate bolt can be made to fit a Mexican action.

There are only 4 model 1910 mausers I know of. Mexican, Uraguayan, Serbian, Costa Rican. The Serb and the costa rican use the Yugo style enclosed bolt face. the Mexican is an altogether different animal. And I'm not sure what the Uraguayan is.

A mexican bolt in a Yugo or other intermediate bolt length receiver would be a bad thing. Grossly excess headspace results.

Any true intermediate length bolt (not the Mexican 1910 or 1936) can be made to work in any intermediate length 98 action. Some assembly may be required. :lol: Alternately, if you are building from the ground up an intermediate bolt can be made to fit a Mexican action.

Do any of them have a 360* handguard lip like an 03 or 38 Turk?

I don't 'necessarily' remember any 'Ankana', Crescent and scimitar or other stamp on the ring.

I guess that it is possible that someone else saw the handguard lip

and thought that it was a Turk too so they screwed Turk barrels into them.

I figured Turk barrel + 360* handguard lip = Turk.

I thought that since it was a 1910 ( being before 1938 ) it would have been a 'contract' gun.

Tinker

Do any of them have a 360* handguard lip like an 03 or 38 Turk?

I don't 'necessarily' remember any 'Ankana', Crescent and scimitar or other stamp on the ring.

I guess that it is possible that someone else saw the handguard lip

and thought that it was a Turk too so they screwed Turk barrels into them.

I figured Turk barrel + 360* handguard lip = Turk.

I thought that since it was a 1910 ( being before 1938 ) it would have been a 'contract' gun.

Tinker

The turks "turked" everything starting in about 1938.

By "turked" I mean counter bored the receiver to create a hand guard retainer.

This feature was built in on the 03s and also built in when they began building there own. (k-kale)