Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Oberndorf Model M Factory Sporting Rifle

Vladymere

Fellows,

Here is a rifle I picked up recently at a gunshow from a walk in. It is and Oberdorf factory model M sporting rifle made for export to the US. Caliber is .30-'06. Serial number places the manufacturing dat at 1922 or 1923. The Gerard scope is still clear. The checkering is still fairly sharp. The scope may be after market and not factory installed.

Vlad

DSCN2616.jpg

DSCN2622.jpg

DSCN2624.jpg

DSCN2623.jpg

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2618.jpg

DSCN2617.jpg

DSCN2600-Copy.jpg

DSCN2601.jpg

Wow, nice find. And here I thought I did well with the Pre-64 Model 70 Feather weight in .308 Win I got.

Your type M might be a little nicer than the S type I got last year. Mine was one of the very last Mauser made.

Congrats!

Gentleman,

Thank you for your kind comments.

After cleaning up I found the bore is a bit rough and the scope windage screws need replacement, one is wrong and the head broke off of the other. At the range, using Greek ammo, It was kind of all over the target. I attribute this to the bad windage screws on the scope. A couple of times I had two holes touching and then it would move 6 inches.

Donmarkey, $2000. If I was to sell it I would start it at $4000 on the net.

Vlad

Vlad, would it be too much trouble to get a couple more pics of the bolt handle. I've wanted to make one of those for a while and every time I see one it's different. At least this one is Oberndorf. I've wanted to do something up in that flavor since Don posted his build and Mike put some of his pics on. And yes, that is beautiful. I love European and British styles.

Thanks, Ron

That is a very nice rifle indeed. You did very well Vlad. Theres nothing wrong with a 30-06, but man, you have to admit, wouldn't it be nice if it was a 7x57 or something along those lines? That bolt handle is beautiful, and like Ron, a butterknife has been on my mind for some time. My oveido just may aquire one, just gotta get the cash for my bolt! Very nice, in fact outstanding find.

Brenden