Military Firearm Restoration Corner

adams & bennet short chambered barrels

sphingta

Quick question for a sanity check. When measuring from the reciever face to the bolt face i come up with .740". When measuring from the front reciever ring on the barrel to the base of a go gauge its 1.000". The midway site says nominal short chambers are.050". Has any one else run across a short chambered barrel .250" of an inch short.

They may be .050" short in some length, but if also roughed in in some smaller diameter, gently tapered brass will not go in very far at all.

I'm at work right now so i can't give a measurement until morning but its a 280 remington. I have the finish reamer but it just seems like it should have come a lot more finished unless the chamber was cut rough and the gauge is getting hung up. I didn't really have time to investigate before i left for work so was just wondering if any one else ran across this as it seems like its going to be a lot more work than i thought. I was going to finish by hand but 1/4" seems like an awful lot by hand.

My experience with the A&B barrels is that they are indeed very short chambered.

I have used finish reamers on other barrels that did not require the amount of reaming that the A&B ones need. I guess you get what you pay for.

fritz

That's an awful lot of material to be removed by hand. If they advertise them as being only .050" short I'd call them on it and ask them to make good. Good luck, they will likely say these were on sale or clearanced and thus no returns.

I'd try to have the chambers finished in a lathe if I were you.

Well, I just checked 2 A&B short chambered barrels. One an F54, fluted, SS 220 Swift barrel. Forster Go gauge sticks out of the chamber .145".

The other is a F14, 308 barrel. A Forster Go gauge sticks out of the chamber about .182"

I wonder if you got a 7mm barrel by msitake, or if Midway is taking a short cut by using 7mm reamers only. It would still be a short chambered barrel.....................just really, really short. laugh.gif

Well, I just checked 2 A&B short chambered barrels.  One an F54, fluted, SS 220 Swift barrel.  Forster Go gauge sticks out of the chamber .145".

The other is a F14, 308 barrel.  A Forster Go gauge sticks out of the chamber about .182"

I wonder if you got a 7mm barrel by msitake, or if Midway is taking a short cut by using 7mm reamers only.  It would still be a short chambered barrel.....................just really, really short. laugh.gif

4123[/snapback]

All the feedback on the midway site indicates that the A&B barrels' chambers are close to finished length. I'd check for interference on the gauge and I'd try a piece of brass or a dummy round.

Steve

All the feedback on the midway site indicates that the A&B barrels' chambers are close to finished length. I'd check for interference on the gauge and I'd try a piece of brass or a dummy round.

Well, the so-called feedback is wrong.

Maybe that is whay Midway only posts the favorable feedback.

fritz

Well, the so-called feedback is wrong.

Maybe that is whay Midway only posts the favorable feedback.

fritz

4148[/snapback]

Measure my .308 A&B barrel

First, receiver ring to bolt face is .771 (pre lapping lugs). back of go gauge to barrel shoulder is .805.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve

Well, that sounds within the normal range for the A&B barrels. I remeasured my two A&B barrels and came up with the following:

F54 220 Swift barrel............from front ring shoulder to end of chamber is .624", so adding the .145" the Go gauge sticks out of the chamber, totals .769".

On the F14 308 Win barrel, the measurements are .626" + .182" for a total of .808".

So your .805" from shoulder to end of Go Gauge sounds normal. Your Go gauge will probably stick out of the chamber about .100" to .110" after chambering.