Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mag Box Clearance

Ron J

I'm going to make a little clearance between the top of the magazine box and the recvr on this Higgins. When I do this the back wall that goes up into the recvr will hit the bolt. I'll shorten it also, but won't the radius cut towards the top need to be redone? Do I reshape so that it's the same size as now?

I'm assuming this is there for CRF.post-466-1240537279_thumb.jpg

My experience with this is that if there is no radius or bevel there that it makes a small step where the back edge rests in the receiver and that frequently it it will snag the the rim of the case.

I have had to either radius or bevel (bevel works fine and is easier) on several magazines to make them load without snagging.

Brad

Exactly like Brad and 72 said, it was designed to use with the stripper clip to help guide the rounds into the mag, not needed but depending on the cartridge and the way you personally load the mag it can help with hand loading too. Just breaking the edge like Brad suggests is all I ever do and it seems to work just fine, no need for the rounded bevel. It was rounded so the outside edges were full size to stop the stripper clip. If you aren't using a clip just bevel the whole thing.

Don