Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1909 Argie Question

Sailormilan2

DWM (german made) and FMAP (argie made). It's the older dwm's that tend to be soft from my experience. Nothing heat treating won't correct though. Still my favorite action.

Don

This is the second thread I have see on this subject lately. I built a 6.5x55 sporter on a DWM '09 Argentine that is ready to shoot. The action showed no signs of setback before insatlling the barrel and I was assured that the 6.5x55 would be fine in this action. I load my 6.5s rather sedately - nothing not already deemed suitable for the '96s and usually not even the max listed for those. Do I need to be concerned about this in my '09?

You are fine with that combination. Enjoy your rifle.

Clemson

Thanks for the response, Clemson. I did save this '09 for the 6.5x55 specifically because they are both my favorites and have a couple VZ24s set aside for whatever else.

Jeff H

• 1 year later...

<!--quoteo(post=43647:date=May 12 2009, 11:22 AM:name=Clemson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clemson @ May 12 2009, 11:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=43647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are fine with that combination. Enjoy your rifle.

Clemson<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the response, Clemson. I did save this '09 for the 6.5x55 specifically because they are both my favorites and have a couple VZ24s set aside for whatever else.

Jeff H

Hard to believe that I posted THAT long ago on this, but I have had this ready to shoot since shortly after I posted, just never got a chance to get out. Well, I changed jobs and took a week off in between and got her out. The loads I had were 160 grain Hornady Round noses loaded for an M38 Husky that would put them into less than an inch at a hundred yards. I was surprised that my A&B barrel would do this. Of course, it is STILL not done, but the new job will afford me a bit more time for my projects. Oh, those are three shot groups. Pics of the groups were with my cell at the range, real camera at home for the rifle.

post-431-128245065378_thumb.jpg

post-431-1282450699_thumb.jpg

post-431-128245071977_thumb.jpg

post-431-128245073123_thumb.jpg

post-431-128245074203_thumb.jpg

post-431-128245075519_thumb.jpg

VERY nice! The deer better be ducking!

:) Clemson

Thanks much, Sir! :)

The deer are safe here in Ohio. No rifles - which is probably a good thing with as flat as it is in my corner.

I may have to use up a few of those 160s on some woodchucks though, until I work up a load with something lighter.

Glad I stayed with my original plan on the '09.

Of course, it would have just ended up as a 7x57 or .257 Roberts anyway if not a 6.5.

Thanks much, Sir! :)

The deer are safe here in Ohio. No rifles - which is probably a good thing with as flat as it is in my corner.

I may have to use up a few of those 160s on some woodchucks though, until I work up a load with something lighter.

Glad I stayed with my original plan on the '09.

Of course, it would have just ended up as a 7x57 or .257 Roberts anyway if not a 6.5.

Looks good! Drive a little bit north and you can test on a couple deer up here.

Don

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Dale,

I've a few of the 09s. Someone at the Guild show a couple of years ago told me the DWM is fine but the FMAPs are soft.

I'm thinking maybe no one really knows what they are talking about. Use them all as is, or my thought is, heat treat them all.

Brad