Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Rabbit Gun

Rojelio

I bought this at a pawn shop today for $277 + tax (300 out the door) for the action. The silver inlays really got me. Ha Ha. It has a rabbit and arrow on each side.

The scope is an old 4x Leupold Pioneer with post and crosswire. It's still clear except the post looks like it has hair growing on it. I called Leupold and they said they would repair or replace it under warrenty. I almost fell out of my chair. You can't beat that.

The base is a Buehler that's adjustable for windage and elevation.

Oh yeah. It's a 30-06.

I've been trying to talk the pawn shop owner down for the last six months on this rifle. He finally got right.

The overall condition is pretty rough, but, the action is silky smoothe.

Here's a pic, Rojelio

MVC-045F-1.jpg

Gotta love it. Especially gotta love the Leupold warranty. So, what's yer favorite rabbit load? :lol:

I don't know, Mike. I might have to go with full house loads. Some of our Texas jack rabbits get pretty big. :lol:

Weaver said he want's the stock. He's gonna build a gun for his little boy.

Bunny on right side.

MVC-046F-1.jpg

Bunny on left side.

MVC-047F.jpg

That's pretty cool. I think it's great that Weaver's son wants that stock. Anything to get em interested. Besides, that bunny is kinda cute, lol.

Somewhat related, I picked up a 1942 byf k98 that had been made into a .30-06, walnut sporter stock, Jaeger sidemount with OLD weaver K4, and a redfield peep for $200 on the 17th. Heck, the accessories are worth more than I paid. However, it is about the heaviest '06 I've ever felt and no bunnies. :(

What's the action? Is is it a commercial?

Yes, it's a commercial FN.

There's no markings above the wood (not even a serial #).

Below the wood on the right side of the receiver ring it says FN 1951 and under that Made in Belgium.

Rojelio

Those bunnies are kinda cute. Thats a good find for a pretty good price.

Now the serious part. The load for rabbits is nothing less than a 180 gr. chunk of lead and as much IMR 4350 as one can stuff in the case. They are hard to put down and I myself never hunt them with anything less than a 7mag. Its not funny to have a whole family of them running at you with teeth chomping. Especially if they are rabbid rabbits. Bad news bunnies. :rolleyes:

Its a jungle out there Rojelio, God be with you.

Brenden

Nice Find!! Your rifle reminds of the numerous post war sporters I used to encounter at gunshows in the early 70's. I didn't really appreciate them at the time and rarely see them anymore. Used to see some really beautiful silver inlays, most often initials but occasionally a war souvenir like a German or Italian coin and even recall a few with Nazi war medals.

Those bunnies are kinda cute. Thats a good find for a pretty good price.

Now the serious part. The load for rabbits is nothing less than a 180 gr. chunk of lead and as much IMR 4350 as one can stuff in the case. They are hard to put down and I myself never hunt them with anything less than a 7mag. Its not funny to have a whole family of them running at you with teeth chomping. Especially if they are rabbid rabbits. Bad news bunnies. :rolleyes:

Its a jungle out there Rojelio, God be with you.

Brenden

Can't ever be too careful!!

I shipped the scope out today. Maybe I'll luck out and get a new one.

nice find. i have one of those leupold pioneer 4x scopes & a set of adjusto-mounts for a fn waiting on the right project.

if you're going to use that thing on texas rabbits i would put three 220 grainers behind some 180's just incase you wound one in the tall grass & it charges you. have you seen the teeth one one of those?

I'm all for whimsical things, and doing what you want without regards to affecting resale value, but really, a silver inlayed bunny rabbit on a 30-06? What the hell was this guy thinking?! :huh:

I don't know but it wasn't half bad. I've seen much worse. At least he kept his paws off the action.

• 3 weeks later...

Well a Leupold tech called me today and said they had no parts to repair the pioneer and asked if it would be ok to just replace it with a new FXII 4x33. Of course I accepted :D. I'm still in disbelief. I'm thinking Leupold will be getting more of my business from now on.

Rojelio

Well a Leupold tech called me today and said they had no parts to repair the pioneer and asked if it would be ok to just replace it with a new FXII 4x33. Of course I accepted :D. I'm still in disbelief. I'm thinking Leupold will be getting more of my business from now on.

Rojelio

Wow, great find. Love the specutlation on the rabbit. Is not that part of the fun. I think I just became a Leupold fan myself. I've never even owned one, but I think I will now.

Just a quick and loosley related customer service note. This is for you guys that buy hunting calls. I will always buy a Primos. Long story short, they replaced the reeds in their call that I managed to mangle free of charge. They were very easy to work with and sent them for free even when I offered to pay for them. Can't beat that.