Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mesquite As A Knife Handle?

Gothmog

I have taken an interest in knives of late, specifically kukhris. I have a couple I'd like to change handles on, and I recalled some talk of mesquite on this site before.

So, here are my questions:

1. is this wood suitable as a grip for a heavy chopping blade?

2. where could I get some?

3. what does it look like? (pics anyone?)

Thanks in advance guys.

I don't have any pics,but have several bid mesquites on my place,and several bo'dark,bos'd ark,or horse-apple trees.Both woods are harder than woodpecker lips and make great knife handles.Mesquite looks like a redish hickory,and the heart of bo'dark looks a lot like walnut,but yellow on the outsides.Jantz knife supply in Davis Oklahoma has mesquite slabs.Arizona mesquite has the most figure and looks best in gunstocks.Jerry

Both woods are harder than woodpecker lips

That is an understatement, that stuff is about as hard as you can get. Back in the 70's I became acquainted with a guy that cut and sold Mesquite blocks to machine shops all over the country. They use it for drill blocks. In Arizona it grows like weeds.

I'm highly allergic to the Mesquite. When I go out to the desert I have to take along decongestants. During the bloom I often need a Rx because of Mesquite and another desert weed.

• 2 weeks later...

Mesquite is hard, but brittle. I think it would be a good handle, but don't strike the handle against anything. Here is some finished mesquite

It can be pale brown to rose/brown. The sap wood is yellow. It is my favorite wood.

I don't have any of it here, but my dad should have plenty. Let me know by message if you want his contact. Maybe he could send you a piece.

I used to have a bunch of it on the land we had outside of Calvert, TX. I mean big trees, 18" diameter or bigger. I used to laugh as seeing bags of the blocks for sale in the stores as BBQ seasoning. I'd just cut off a slab and chop it in chunks and give it to friends/family.

Now we have a couple of small scrub mesquite trees, but not the big ones like in Calvert. Here we have mostly oak, walnut, cedar, elm, and a bunch of others.

I have a giant mesquite in the front yard,and several smaller one at the back of our place.The big one is so big,we have a porch swing hanging on a lower limb.

Goth,if you need me to send you a slab,I'm sure I can saw you out a slab and mail it to you,and would be glad to do it.Jerry