Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cetme Feeding Problem.

brian923

hey guys, i have a small, well, big problem with feeding issues with my cetme. long story short... i got a cetme sporter .308 from a local gunfair a couple years ago. while i was shooting it, i put a box of .308 win through it, (i read later this was a bad idea.) the case seperated. not having the appopriot tools to clear the seperated case, i took it to a local gunsmith. he removed the seperated case, and said he "polished the chamber for me" being an ignorant kid, i didnt take the rifle right out to shoot it. i waited a while. the rifle will shoot twice, and jam on the case of the third cartridge. like its riding on top of the case, which scores it real deep. (about mid case to the sholder of the neck. (ill try to find a pic of the case.) if i clear the third round, that was jammed, and let go the charging handle to load another round, it will do so. it will shoot that round and the next, but never the third. does this make any sense to anyone?

i have since talked to the gunsmith, and he says he "must have lost the rifle info, he had never worked on my gun" smooth hah.... so basicaly im SOL. this makes me so mad! anyways, i have no clue what to try to see if i can fix it myself, before paying someone else. i have some knowledge (now) about firearms, but its all bolt guns, but i can measure and do some work myself. i will not hesitate to have some help as i am not to familiar with the cetme/G3 rifle. any help is really appreciated. thak guys, brian.

honestly, your best bet is to hit up the guys at militaryfirearms.com

there are some ultra knowledgeable fellas over there, and they're pretty friendly.

does the problem only happen with one mag, or multiples? have you tried other ammo? from what i recall reading on MF.com, it sounds like maybe your lower receiver is a touch out of spec.

good luck! my cetme is still in pieces in a box...

heath

• 2 weeks later...

Brian; if you don’t mind I’m going to ask a few questions and see if we can trouble-shoot your problem.

You say the gun jams on the 3rd round and scratches the case pretty bad.

1) Is the chamber of your gun scratched now?

2) does the round jam before it’s fully or actually chambered?

3) Are you using the same magazine each time?

4) Are there scratches around the barrel where the cartridge enters the barrel

I realize you are associating the feeding problem with the work done by the smith and you could be right.

But…

Remember you had a split case; the problem that caused the split case may still be causing a problem.

I'm guessing that the smith polished your chamber to remove scratches caused by the removal of the stuck case.

But…

He could have been trying to remedy a scored chamber. I just don’t know with out a lot more info.

My guess is that you have a weak magazine spring or slightly bent feeding lips on your magazine.

Or a combination of 2 problems scoring or roughness around the barrel where the cartridge enters and possibly a magazine problem.

Since the chamber has been polished once I would advise “NOT” doing that again without checking head space first.

If it were my gun I would use some dummy rounds, cycle the gun by hand to see if it would jam on the 3rd round. ( expose a magazine problem)

This would also allow for the opportunity to inspect cases for scratches caused by a rough feeding area.

I've never even seen a CETME in person, but...

If you think about it, the first round is chambered manually. If this is a 2 position box magazine, which I assume it is, then lets say the second round is loaded from the left of the magazine and the third from the right (or vice versa). The third round would be the first round the rifle loads by itself from that side of the mag/feed ramp. A problem on that side would be first exposed with the third round.

Pictures of the jammed condition and the damage to the round I think would be helpful.

the case jams as the bolt rides over it. the bullet of the cartridge is starting to go into the chamber area. i am going to see if i can locate some new mags (al the ones i have found so far look worse than the ones i have) and see if this is the issue. i am starting to think that its a mag issue. i have also read that the 4 stamped places on the mag well, that hold the mag in the upmost postion, may get penned, or damaged, and allow the loaded mag to wobble in the mag well. hen i get the new mags, i was going to try to fix these 4 points to hold the mag nice and tight. i will try to get picsup of the gun, when jammed. thank for everything, brian.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but I think Bolt over Base jams are usually magazine related. Either the mag is too low or the feed lips are too low. If the feed lips are bendable, then try gently bending up/out the one on the side that's jamming. Even a very small amount would probably be enough.

I agree with Dr.Hess that your problem is the magazine.

It almost sounds like you don’t have the right magazine.

The bolt should strip a round from the magazine cleanly.

If the magazines are correct then I would check the follower and the spring.

If they check out then look at the feed lips.

Are they bent down or are they being pushed down by the bolt?