Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fn Commercial Mauser Actions, 98% Finished.

brian923

sorry bout all the questions, but this what i do. always asking to learn more. thanks for putting up with me.

in a mag i was reading, a gunshop has a couple fn mauser actions for sale that are 98%finished. it says they need the bolt stop hole drilled and extracter cut, well, cut. and then needeing to be heat treated. as most you know, im thinking of using this action (if any good) to build my 7 rem mag on instead of my k. kale. (at least this is what i am thinking about right now. :blink: itll probably go back and forth!)

heres my questions:

1. im guessing that drilling the bolt stop hole is pretty straight forward, but is the extrator slot hard?

2. it looks as if these may not come with any bolts... where can i get a bolt to fit?

3. can i properly harden the action, or have my father in laws (the machinist) guys how do his heat treating do it, or is it a special type of heat treat.

4. is this a good way to go, or just stick with getting a complete rifle and starting form there. basically uing th turk k. kale instead. (whuich brings me back to square one! ;) ohh, the things my wife puts up with!!!

thanks guys, brian

These sound like the stripped, uncompleted, receivers that Sarco has been selling for quite some time.

The bolt stop hole needs to be square.

I discovered the hard way that a very good machinist may be a poor gunsmith.

There may also be legal ramifications when using a non FFL machinist to do gunsmith work.

Also those receivers WILL need to be professionally heat treated, by a reputable firm, which is familiar with the composition of steel used in commercial FN Mausers. (Your life depends on it.)

You will be well ahead of the game by purchasing a complete milsurp action, or better still a complete milsurp rifle.

Kenny

thats what i was kinda thinking, but i just wanted to see if this was a good way or not. i guess ill keep learning, and maybe one day, ill be able to go this route. these actions look like they could make some really nice rifles. thanks for the info, brian.

Brian, here's another take. I don't know what you have tied up in the Turk. If it's complete the only thing you need to buy is little stuff and get a bolt handle done. Even if it's soft, heat treat cost is the same as the FN. Plus, if your Turk is anything like mine was, you get a lot of practice with stones and sandpaper!! I like FN's too. But I bought complete ones. I guess it all depends on how much is too much and thats up to each person.

ive been thinking and thinking hard. i am going to try to leave the 7 rem mag suff on th shelf for right now and build maybe a 7mm-08. i already have a 308, but thus mayt be an interesting little project. pluse, it will give me a lot of experiance. i was thinking of also putting my 7rem mag reamer on the co-op. so, well see what is to come. my turk has a new fajun stock, timmny trigger with safey, and an fn rear bolt sheild. i plan on a lot of stock work to lighten it up a bit, some bolt work to sweep the bolt, and some bead blasting to make the reciever a little more pleasing to the eyes, and drill and tap for a scope mount. we shall see how it all turns out. thanks guys, brian.

ive been thinking and thinking hard. i am going to try to leave the 7 rem mag suff on th shelf for right now and build maybe a 7mm-08. i already have a 308, but thus mayt be an interesting little project. pluse, it will give me a lot of experiance. i was thinking of also putting my 7rem mag reamer on the co-op. so, well see what is to come. my turk has a new fajun stock, timmny trigger with safey, and an fn rear bolt sheild. i plan on a lot of stock work to lighten it up a bit, some bolt work to sweep the bolt, and some bead blasting to make the reciever a little more pleasing to the eyes, and drill and tap for a scope mount. we shall see how it all turns out. thanks guys, brian.

Have you considered a plane old 7X57 Mauser?

I've built a couple and have fallen in love with the caliber.

We all know what great rifles Mauser made but, many people seem to forget that the Mauser cartridges are excellent as well.

6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, 7.65x53, All very good calibers and require NO alterations to get them to feed.

Have you considered a plane old 7X57 Mauser?

I've built a couple and have fallen in love with the caliber.

We all know what great rifles Mauser made but, many people seem to forget that the Mauser cartridges are excellent as well.

6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, 7.65x53, All very good calibers and require NO alterations to get them to feed.

Ken,

very true indeed. I like the 7mm-08 but the 7x57 in a 98 is evry bit its equal and then some. The single greatest factor in favor of the 7x57 vs the 7mm-08 is 100% utter reliability in feeding with little or no work. The 7mm-08 will also work don't get me wrong, it's just may require a bit more effort to get it right.

can the 7x57 be loaded to better ballistics (like its big brother, the 8x57) than whats in the reloading manuels? the only reason i choose the 7mm-08 was because it showsthe 7mm-08 with better performance in reloading manuels. its also more availible in stores out this way. but, i will probably be reloading, so i think, in the end, it will come down to one or the other. :rolleyes: well just have to wait and see.

The 7x57 has greater case capacity so loaded to equal pressures it will outperform the 7mm-08. But, most load books only load to 7x57 pressures which are lower than the 7mm-08.

The point I was trying to make is the 7X57 doesn't need to be loaded to super duper velocities.

It is already way better than the win 30/30, and how many deer or black bear have fallen cleanly to that old standby?

In the early 1900's a man name WDM Bell, killed hundreds of elephants with a .275 Rigby. (7X57 Mauser)

Nowadays in Scandinavian hunters harvest thousands of moose (many times the number taken in Alaska) annually and their principal cartridge is the 6.5X55 Mauser.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to build a super duper rifle ,I have several, but I have found for accuracy and killing power the old Mauser cartridges are hard to beat unless you plan on making killing shots at extreme long ranges. However, as a hunter and Alaskan hunting guide, I have participated in harvesting countless head of big game and with very few exceptions; most were taken at under 200 yards.

I plan on taking 2 rifles on my moose hunting trip this year and swapping off each day.

A 7X57 and a 6.5X55. I’m not worried in the least about the effectiveness of either rifle; I just hope I get the chance to use one of them.

7X57 built on a K-kale

k-kale019.jpg

6.5X55 sweedish

sweede2010.jpg