Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.284 Winchester And A Vz24...

brian923

hey guys, its me again.

heres whats been going on. i found a rifle barrel and an action. the barrel is a McGowen .284 win barrel. since it happened to threaded for a large ring mauser, i found one of those too!! its a vz24 action. i kinda cheated a little. i wanted to do most of the work myself, but ended up getting an action that was already D&T'ed for a scope and the handle already bent for a scope. ill just have to use this as templte for my next build ;)

i dont have the barrel or the action yet, but i am so excited to get it. the pair will be laid to rest in a fajen target stock that will get a lot of weight shaved off of it.

my question is this. do you guys think that i ill have to opwn up the feed lips to get the big .284 case to feed? if so, can this be done with a file, or is it best left to a lathe? thanks guys, brian m.

The feed rails are best altered with a vertical milling machine. Exhaust all your options with the extractor, follower, etc., before you start work on the rails, however. You may get lucky.

Clemson

In most cases the feed ramp/rails are too narrow for the wider .284 case to pass through unaltered. Look forward to some rail work.