Military Firearm Restoration Corner

finally back!, but lets talk calibers!!

youngtrout

Hello, its been a bit since I posted, kind of got misplaced with the move and all!

Just been reading all the posts, sure do mis the archives but enough about that, salt on wounds and such

The reason I'm posting is I just want to talk about options with the 98's, I know the calibers are numerous but just wanted some feedback, I have my number 1 rifle that one I hunt with and a couple of actions just waiting to find barrels!

My number 1 is a vz-24 with a 270 barrel, midweight, richards stock, weights in at 8 1/2 lbs, loaded, love the rifle, shoots tight groups and meets 80% of my needs.

Now the fun part, I have a mark X action and a richards I have lightened to 20 ounces, I want to make this into a light weight medium sized game rifle.

I am hopeful this might become a sheep rifle, my first thoughts was a 7/08, .270 I guess has already been taken, but I would love to hear others thoughts, 25/06, .308, the barrel would be an er shaw

Next is a action donated from a 300 win project, (just finally gave up, I'm not talented enought to make the belted mag work,,,,,,,,,,so this one would want to be a large game rifle, I was thinking .35 whelen, 338/06, 8/06, even the 8x68 but opening up another bolt is something I want to avoid.

so my question for this one is finding an un-belted mag. that will push a heavy bullet at a nice clip for shots up to 300 yds.

I realized I have asked broad questions and may have just opened up a can full of worms but I guess that was my point, would love to hear about other number 1's, or pro and cons of calibers!

glad to be back!!

Welcome back.

For starters, on the donated 300 Win Mag action, if you couldn't get it to work you don't want to try the 8x68S. A good non magnum cartridge that throws a heavy bullet and shhots pretty flat to 300 yds is the .338-06. It will propel 250 grainers at between 2500 and 2600 fps depending on whose manual you read and which gods you pray to. About 150 fps slower than the .338 Win Mag factory loads. I am finally almost done with mine. The stock required way more work than I expected.

For the lighter weight rifle a 7x57 is always hard to beat. It shoots pretty well wih shorter barrels giving up less velocity per inch than its larger .280 Cousin. I'd opt for the 7x57 over the 7-08 because feeding issues are less. but, to get the max performance out of it you will need to handload. Do you have the Mark X bottom metal? If so, you can go with the larger .30-06 based cases.

Ya the 300 win started fin, everything seemed great, opened mag, did very minor work to feed rails, just could not get that last or first round to feed well, oh well, finally told myself to quite before I ruined an action.

Yes I do have the bottom metal to the mark X. It was originally a .243, then a 22-250, figured I didn't need 3 22-250's soooo, Since the .243 really is a necked down 308 I figured the 7/08 would work fine but I guess I really do need to look into the 7x57 also

The 338/06 is one I'm looking carefully at, also the 338/06AI, but I guess I'll have to look at the tables more carefully,

thanks, other pets?

Here's a caliber that you guys haven't mentioned yet... .35 Whalen. Got to love anything that lobs it's bullet out and still has a ton of energy at 200 yards, yet doesn't kick more than a .30-06. It fits in the action without any modification, will take any game in N. America (or africa I would imagine), bullets are pretty plentiful for reloaders, but if you don't reload ammo is availible without special ordering it. What's not to love?

On the other end of deer hunting, I'm rapidly becoming a fan of 7mm Mauser. About 90 percent of the power of the '06 or 8mm, but with at least a third less recoil. Now that's what's going on my son's first mauser. Nice light rifle that won't make him wince as he learns how to shoot it, but will still take large game out to 300 yards without problems, including elk and moose.

just my .02

mimic

If you've already opened the feed rails then I'm afraid you are likely to be stuck witha magnum cartdige. The rails will be too wide to go back to the smaller -06 cased cartridges. The 8x68 may work in that action sinc ethe dimensions are pretty close to those of the Win mags.

If the bottom metal is already set up for the .243 then you are right that any .308 based case should work. It's just that the 7x57 holds an advantage over the 7-08. You may want to block the magazine though, after of course removing the existing block.

i would 2nd the 7mm mauser for the lightweight rifle. what a great all around caliber. nothing wrong with a 7mm/08, but i think there is just something about that 100+ year old caliber that still gets the job done. there is also .243, 6mm rem .257 roberts....

as for the Mark X action, if the feedrails allow, either a 338/06 or 35 Whelen would be a terrific choice. i hear 338/06 is going to be offered in factory ammo more and more, but a 35 whelen i bet will do the same job. i would be interested to see if anyone has any info on which has more felt recoil?

My pick is the 25-06 for the medium rifle, you already have the .270. Plus you can use the 75 gr. V-max in the 25-06 and this makes a great coyote stopper. 120 gr. in the 25-06 will work great on sheep and deer. My pick for the heavy rifle is the 35 Whelen. 250 grainers @ 2650fps out of mine is a no brainer, if the feedrails aren't to wide!! Both calibers have factory ammo!!!

Thanks, Davis.

Guest Guest_jkh004_*

My pick for the lightweight is the 7mm-08. Excellent round more ammo choices if you do not handload. I have 2 of them on Mausers and both fed just fine with no modifications. Heavy hitter go with the 338-06. Superior to the 35 Whelen all around.

I got a sporterized VZ24 in 30-06 with sporter sights, stock, recoil pad, safety, bent bolt, drilled and tapped for $120.

The magazine well is blind, and the Walnut looks nice.

There was a problem with the wrong Weaver mounts, but I stock #A45 and #46 mounts.

Today I made a dummy 30-06 round and chambered it.

The chamber was nice and tight, but the magazine was WAY too short:(

Someone must not have realized that a 3.340" magazine length takes some work.

Guest MorgansBoss

Welcome home Youngtrout, glad you found your way!

Before even finishing your initial post I had come to the same conclusion as Zee - the 7x57 is an excellent medium game choice and the 8X68S is a great choice for a heavy hitting mid-bore. While the 8x68 isn't terribly well known in most circles it's performance in a non-belted case is tough to beat in it's respective catagory. As for the 7x57, while quite dated and often maligned by those only familiar with basement hack-job's on rusted South American armament, it is the obvious choice for your intentions. No less than the late Jack O'Connor held it in high reguard as a sheep slayer.

To answer the question on the feedrails, the action will still feed a 30/06 with no problem. What I focused the most on was the feed ramp and the front part of the rails, the action was rock hard so I really never removed too much metal.

I spent most of my effort widening and lenghthening the triggerguard,,,,,so the action is a- okay for most rounds,,,,,,,right now I have to say the 35 whelen and the 338-06 or 338-06ai are leading the pack.

As for the deer rifle, and the one I will finish first (ordering barrel next week) looks like the 7x57 might be the way to go. I agree, its a classy round with lots of history,,,,,,I love the 25/06 on paper though

As for barrel length I was leaning towards the 24 inch barrel, even though I will add a bit of weight, I figure I'll get the most out of the round with it,,thoughts?

Thanks for all the feedback, I just love talking mausers, especially when it will eventually end with a new toy!

One other middle weight caliber you didn't mention is the 9.3x62. Practically speaking there isn;t much difference between it, the .35 whelen and the .338-06. If you ever plan on going abroad with it then consider the 9.3x62 as it is legal for more big game in Africa and much easier to find ammo for. If you are staying stateside I'd opt for the .338-06 or perhaps the AI since you can also get factory ammo for it. I just like the plethora of bullets available in .338" vs the rather spartan selection of .35 bullets.

Since i have a 9.3x62 and a .338-06 I have no use for the Whelen.

I have to cast my vote for the 25-06 in the lighter weight category. It's my favorite all around cartridge for all the reasons Davis gave above, especially the 75gr V-Max. Although the Roberts would not be a bad choice either. For the larger caliber I have to vote for the Whelen. I just started on one myself. I like the availability of factory loaded ammunition especially if you do not handload.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with the 7x57AI, I know the 7x57 as is is a good round but is the extra powder space worth it. Figuring you have to now fireform all the cases.

Also, there does not seem to be much resources for reloading them,,,,,,any info on the pros and cons of the 7x57AI would be appriciated.

I do not have any first hand experience with the 7x57 AI but I can tell you that if I wanted more velocity than the 7x57 provides, I'd just go with the .280 Rem or 7x64.

One nice thing about the 7x57AI is that you can still fire 7x57 ammo in it if you chamber it correctly. That can be a nice plus. Usually the AI can add up to 100 fps. Many of the reported AI velocities come at the exense of much higher pressures than the parrent cartridge. Loaded to equal pressures the AI's usually provide less than 100 fps extra velocity.

I have one and like it. I can get 2850 fps with a 140 gr bullet out of the 19.5" carbine barrel.

If I wasn't interested in experimenting for fun (which is a great thing to do) I would opt for the standard 7 x 57. It is a very good cartridge.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mauserfever
I have one and like it.  I can get 2850 fps with a 140 gr bullet out of the 19.5" carbine barrel.

If I wasn't interested in experimenting for fun (which is a great thing to do) I would opt for the standard 7 x 57.  It is a very good cartridge.

4498[/snapback]

Is the short magazine much of a problem with the 25-06 cartridge length?

I have wanted to do one of those for a long time and have been worried about the short magazine. I have heard concerns about .270 and 30-06 conversions but maybe the .25 bullets are a little shorter and overall length would not be a problem? Just looking for some input from someone who has done this. My action is a pre WWI GEW98.

Is the short magazine much of a problem with the 25-06 cartridge length?

I have wanted to do one of those for a long time and have been worried about the short magazine.  I have heard concerns about .270 and 30-06 conversions but maybe the .25 bullets are a little shorter and overall length would not be a problem? Just looking for some input from someone who has done this. My action is a pre WWI GEW98.

7704[/snapback]

Your Gew98 is a standard length action it can easily be made to accomodate the .30-06. It will likely work as-is with the .25-06. If not, it is easy to lengthen the magazine.

I would agree with Z, go with the 338-06.

I just ordered a 338-06 shaw barrel for a shot-out rem 700

7733[/snapback]

I just got two new .338 barrels. One will become another .338-06. My first was a bit heavier than I wanted with its 26" Douglas #4 bbl so I'm building another with a 22" Douglas #2. Normally I would just have recontoured the original bbl but the stock & inletting turned out so well, I just had to complete it, even if it was a bit heavy. I'm also building a .338 Win Mag with a 23" douglas #2. Midway had em clearanced for cheap same with the removable pilot .338 Win Mag reamer.

On a related note, the BBT droped off my 9.3x62 bbl last night. Now I just have to recontour it to fit my stock and I'll have completed my restoration of the guild gun I bought.

I guess for a light rifle, I would vote for the 7x57. I have used it wild boar hunting with excellent results, not to mention deer. For my elk rifle, I just finished a 338-06AI, with muzzle brake. Shoots like a champ. I do not like belted magnums, just my preference, and I wanted to build some sort of wildcat rifle just to be different from my norm. I haven't really had the time to take it out and build a load yet, but the limited rounds I have put through it were pleasantly surprising. I bedded it into a Hogue rubber overmolded stock, strictly utilitarian, but adequate for my hunting purposes.

Kevin in Or.