Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Engraving

8uck5nort

Engraved some patterns on fore arm of Spanish mauser stock

Pattern was created from clipart of Celtic border weave.

Top two are original pattern on one side and botton two are the inverted scheme on other side of the forearm.

Still got a alot of learning to do, but was just messing around and image was not cleaned up, but should give an idea of what is possible in an afternoon.

post-5537-125235921166_thumb.jpg

post-5537-12523593748_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125235913557_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125235917169_thumb.jpg

It appears I can convert most any graphics files, jpg, jpeg, tiff, bmp, png to the format needed for Corel.

I can vary the depth depending on power and speed of laser in addtion to number of passes. The furthest I have engraved is about a 1/4 inch on pine 2x4. High power and slow speed equaled lots of smoke which kinda blew back into house. Wife not happy. Doh! :o

I am keeping these first designs shallow on purpose. I am rasping out the design and resanding/refinishing the forend piece for further "testing". I found a source of inexpensive semi-shaped stock blanks on e-bay. I plan on getting a 2 or 3 for future learning and as I rasp out the old lessons I'll be shaping them as I go for replacement stocks for future projct guns. That's the plan anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

In between deer hunting, and working on my Carcano project I have also been gaining more ground on the Laser Engraving. Learning the Corel software and limits of what this can do.

So far I have stuck with getting a half way decent knot pattern (I know, get off the knots already) and trying to create just a "normal" chekering pattern for the forearm on a stock. Getting the checkering to look right has been more of a challenge since there are no bitmpas available that have the angles just right. I am having to draw them in the program from scratch. Talk about time consuming. Here is some more samples for your viewing pleasure.

post-5537-125422529063_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125422531091_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125422533398_thumb.jpg

post-5537-12542253549_thumb.jpg

Darin

If you get the stock for your carcano, and put that pattern on it, its going to look pretty good. Just the engraving you've done on mil. stocks really cleans them up and makes them look pretty good. Well done. I don't have a laser, but i have a checkering kit, need to get it back out and try agin.

Impressive Sir.

Brenden