Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Project

8uck5nort

Terni Carcano Scout in 6.5 mm carcano.

I picked this up off GB for 77.00 delivered. Just could not help myself.<sigh> I think I need a therapist or something. <_<

Here is what it looked like when I unboxed it.

post-5537-125306278856_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125306287937_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125306293572_thumb.jpg

I decided to work with what I got and what the rifle will give. So the first thing I decided to was put the "drop in" scope kit to work I originally bought for my LaCoruna. I cut it down to sit on the existing front sight base and "bridge" to a point on the barrel. I am going to bed these for perfect contour,and then drill and tap the bridge into the front site base as shown. This should provide a very solid scope mount. So far the only tools I've used are a hacksaw, small dremel, socket wrench set, file and various grit of sandpaper cause that is all I got. I am going to have to purchase the tap and dies.

post-5537-125306320206_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125306349128_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125306355481_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125306361431_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125306366318_thumb.jpg

I have also broken down the bolt, cleaned, polished and figured out the saftey, which did not work well before breaking down.

post-5537-125306375352_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125306379425_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125306382995_thumb.jpg

I hate the stock on this so I picked up a Claro French Walnut rough uninletted stock for 27.00 delivered. It should be here in a day or two. I am also going to see if I can figure out a way to use the M96 swede flash hider. I located them at Sarco and will get that ordered tomorrow. Not sure how I am going to get that on, but i think it will look pretty good once I get it all cleaned up, refinished, and put together.

old milsap gun are great to learn on..most people will say why spend all that time on a cheap gun...for me its the skills i want.

Exactly.

Anyone can walk into a store and pick something off the rack. They have one and so can anyone else. when you take that old warhorse and start to clean and dream then there is no telling what you gonna end up with. Love it, addicted to it, I just need more time and money to keep it going. :rolleyes:

Love it, addicted to it, I just need more time and money to keep it going

The hook is set deep! There will never be enough time or money.

The upside is that if you take your time, and continue your financial creativity (aka scrounging), you're going to end up with a nice rifle that works better than most and is truely yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Between deer hunting I have been chipping away at my Carcano project.

post-5537-125422384574_thumb.jpg

I have completely stripped the blueing off of everything using Naval Jelly, stoned where I thought it needed it and polished to a 600 grit finish with backed sandpaper.

post-5537-125422406228_thumb.jpg

I received the Sweded flash hider from Sarco yesterday and put it on for mockup. It is just a tad too large and fits over the barrel. Will figure out a way to afix. I am going to try and sleeve as was suggested.

post-5537-125422418847_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125422421544_thumb.jpg

Here is a birds eye of the overall concept.

post-5537-125422450283_thumb.jpg

I sitll have not received the new stock blank. First time I have had an issue getting what I have ordered. I thought the price was alittle low for a Claro Walnut stock... Oh well, chalk it up as another lesson. I will go into remediation with either Ebay or PayPal if it doesn't show up soon. I'll probably end up buying a shaped blank from boyds if that be the case.

Darin

• 3 weeks later...

That rifle looks really sweet. I have a thought for your muzzle flash attachment. I don't know if this is even possible or not, but... could you flash out the end of the muzzle to make it fit? You would obviously have to re-crown but the flash suppressor sure wouldn't move when you were done.

That rifle looks really sweet. I have a thought for your muzzle flash attachment. I don't know if this is even possible or not, but... could you flash out the end of the muzzle to make it fit? You would obviously have to re-crown but the flash suppressor sure wouldn't move when you were done.

Not sure what I am going to do yet with the flash hider. I am looking into slleving the barrel and then tapping but not exactly sure how to do that. Cold weld???

On another note I received my two stocks. Started shaping one for training and ultimately use on the Carcano project. Only using hand tools as that is all I got for now and will also use to sharpen my laser engraving techniques. Any woodstock saping/inletting tips and tricks welcome. Doing this for first time from semishaped blank.

post-5537-125604676379_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125604677281_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125604678268_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125604679617_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125604682361_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I probably have close to 60 hours work so far in this stock. It is coming along sloooowly, but I am learning alot. Still using just hand tools. Hammer and chisel, rasp, sand paper and sockets for barrel channel work. I have cheated a little by using a battery powered drill and circular rasp for some of the inletting work. I plan on epoxy bedding everything to "crisp" up my inletting and barrel channel.

post-5537-125851467401_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125851460368_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125851462993_thumb.jpg

post-5537-125851465072_thumb.jpg

I am also not happy with the scope as it is too high. I am going to rework that after I get the stock done.

I have given up on the flash hider for now.

I plan on gunkote in a matte black as a finish once all the stock work is complete. Pointers welcome.

At this rate I may have it finished by March of 2010.

Very cool Buck.

I've got a Carcano in line to re-barrel to 35 Rem. One of the hurdles is the stock but I see you're well on your way on that.

I finally wrenched my old barrel off using a Wheeler 700 Rem receiver wrench that worked surprisingly well. The barrel threads and breech an "odd" size and configuration so a barrel blank will be needed to be machined to match. The 35 Rem cartridges feed and cycle ok through the action, 5 but not 6 will fill the clip because the 35 Rem case heads are slightly fatter than the Carcano's. However the bolt face grabs and feeds the 35 Rem rims just fine.

Your project encourges me to get on with picking up a 35 barrel blank.

Very cool Buck.

I've got a Carcano in line to re-barrel to 35 Rem. One of the hurdles is the stock but I see you're well on your way on that.

I finally wrenched my old barrel off using a Wheeler 700 Rem receiver wrench that worked surprisingly well. The barrel threads and breech an "odd" size and configuration so a barrel blank will be needed to be machined to match. The 35 Rem cartridges feed and cycle ok through the action, 5 but not 6 will fill the clip because the 35 Rem case heads are slightly fatter than the Carcano's. However the bolt face grabs and feeds the 35 Rem rims just fine.

Your project encourges me to get on with picking up a 35 barrel blank.

When you get someone to do the machining on the barrel blank let me know. I am planning my next carcano in .357 magnum as a Indiana legal deer rifle for the 2010 season. I already picked up another cheap carcano off GB and will be yanking the barrel along with a another mauser barrel (another project) when done with this project. I also have another barrel blank in claro walnut I may use, but surprisingly this other Carcano actually came with a Boyds stock.

• 1 month later...

Well I am in the home stretch on the carcano stock. I should be able to put my first coat of Tung Oil this weekend.

The inletting and bedding work (both pillar and action) is done and I a debating on wether or not to Laser Engrave the stock. I have been practicing on this stock as I have been workinging on it and have become decent at image placement. That is turning out to be the most difficult part. I will get pics up in a week or two of progress as I am pleased with my work. I know it is not perfect nor even professional quality, but for my first foray into hand shaping/carving from a semi-shaped blank I don't think I shamed myself too much.

After I complete the stockwork I am going to turn my attention to metal refinising. I tried blueing a while back and got less than spectacular results. In fact I was down right dissapointed with it. I am sure it was my lack of experience, but I want this rifle to look good when I am done since I have so much time into it. I found these parkerizing kits (yes I know I am cheating a little). I was going to do it on the cheap using the instructions posted on this site, but figured getting the kit and doing it the first time or three this way may be a little easier.

What do you guys think. It comes with instructions, SS tank, and the chemicals for a plain jane black finish for 90 bucks. I have a couple more projects in the queue and I am pretty sure I will be using this process exclusively for them. I would like to get blueing process down, but I would also like to get this done and parkerizing actually "looks" a little easier than blueing.

http://www.calvan.com/html/parkerizing_tank_kits.html

• 2 weeks later...

Stock work is pretty much done. Pics as promised. Remember no laughing until at least the third or fourth one. <_<

It looks better in the pics, but I am pleased.

I have about 120 - 130 hours in the stock as I did it without powertools save a battery powered hand drill and rasp bit for some of the inletting work.

All the engraving was done with my laser engraver. Chose the symbol of a Phoenix. From the ashes of the old rises a new rifle type thing... Yeah I know. B)

Action is bedded - first time for that as well. Next step is the metal finishing.

post-5537-126496967523_thumb.jpg

post-5537-126496972211_thumb.jpg

post-5537-126497002825_thumb.jpg

post-5537-126497026121_thumb.jpg

post-5537-12649703015_thumb.jpg

post-5537-12649703515_thumb.jpg

post-5537-126497039669_thumb.jpg

post-5537-126497043211_thumb.jpg

Nice job.

Are you ready to start laser engraving for others?

Unfortunately no.

There is a couple of things I need to work on before doing work for others. This engraving was done on an unfinished stock and took several attempts to get it right so I had the luxury of rasping and sanding. I am getting better at placement, but not there yet.

Another factor is I am going to have to find a better way to keep the smoke out of the house cause I had to leave the machine open to fit the stock. Wife not happy with a house full of smoke. So I got some challenges to overcome first.

• 6 months later...

Ok this one is done. My first park finsih. Did ok. It is blotchy in spots, but the part that shows did well. Rest is hidden under scope. Took almost an entire year.

post-5537-128202083063_thumb.jpg

post-5537-12820209015_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128202095208_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...