Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Downed With Muzzleloader

8uck5nort

I did not see any decent bucks Saturday, but had a very nice doe come in with three other deer in tow. Shot her at 25 yrds bradside through lungs. She was an old doe. Even had more of a grayish look to her under belly fur. She probably weighed around 160 to 165 lbs before field dressing and at check in was recorded at 131 lbs. Between me and my sons, one which is still hunting hard for his antlers, we have a fully loaded freezer and then some.

post-5537-12607308699_thumb.jpg

Slight nerve touch alert! :rolleyes:

Every deer is a trophy in my book regardless of how it was killed. (Even though I may not call it a trophy) We eat what we kill not because we have to but because we want to. You get a sense of relationship with your prey and nature that I think alot of us in our "I want it now, and I don't care where it came from, consumer humgry society" have lost. We don't prepare venison, eat half of it and then throw it out, cause you don't want it anymore. Not after what you had to do to get it. No sir.

The other reason we hunt is to control the deer population around the farm to keep crop damage to a minimum. That is a real problem here in the corn belt.

Just for the record, last I took all three of my deer with bow. This year I wanted to break it up using rifle, muzzie and me bow. I don't bother with my shotgun anymore as I don't really like to shoot it all that much. Big bang, lotsa uncessary recoil, and the slugs tear up too much meat.

Now having said all that I do like a challenge and I have seen the kits to build your own "old fashion" muzzleloader and would like to try that one day. It would be rewarding for a very different reasons, but there is an appeal. Now for a real challenge. I would also like to try spearing to go all "caveman" on a deer to, but that is illegal. They say it is not humane. Whaaaa??? Isn't the idea to kill it one way or another???

In the end the object is to become proficient with your weapon of choice. rocks, spear, bow, crossbow, rifle, cannon, c4, or even a small tactical nuke, and make a quick claen kill on your chosen prey whatever that may be. ;)

What ever one shoots a deer with, well that is their choice and I see nothing wrong with a smokepole with a scope, or using heat seaking bullets, or a nuke. All of these modern conviences, make hunting more humane. That scope helps someone (like me) that can't see open sights as well as i used too. Scope=less wounded deer. Thats pratical.

Modern muzzloaders, you still load them one at a time, have one shot, lots of smoke, chance of a misfire..yada yada. I have a inline,.54 cal T/C, open sights. I can see them well sice they are fiber optic, maximum range is 100 yards for me. Past that i'm done. If i had a scope, 100 yards would be max. I live for those 30 yard and closer shots w/a smokepole. None of these muzzloaders are what they used to be,(ie. 10 shots at 20 yards in a 30" group) hell even the flintlocks now days are damn accurate. That i am thankful for, accuracy = humane kills.Humane kills gives me more bragging rights than anything. We as hunters are always being labled as rednecks/in-humane F***ers,unethical a-holes, the list goes on. Its good to see someone use everything to their advantage to ensure quick,ethical kills.

Brenden