Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A few semi-auto questions

roscoedoh

Fellows,

I know nothing about any of the semi-autos available nowadays and I was contemplating purchasing one next year if I'm able to.

What do I want? What's available? I'm kind of leaning towards a 7.62x51, although I would not pass up a good deal on a 5.56x45. I would generally wish to avoid Russian type semi-autos too.

What's the deal with FN type rifles? There seems to be a bunch of them and honestly, I really like the way they look. Can the CETME rifles handle modern .308 Win and 7.62x51 rounds safetly? Are they hard to find in accurate, shootable condition?

Also, what's an AR-10? Why would I want one of these over a AR-15?

I almost put Springfield rifles in a different category as I someday plan to own an M1 Garand and an M1A. For now, I'm sort of curious to see what'll be available for +/- $500.

If someone has a minute, I would appreciate your knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

While I don't own or haven't shot some of those rifles, here are some answers that may help.

Cetme & HK 91s are basically the same and can handle 308/7.62NATO. The AR10 is the AR 15's big brother and shoots 308. I have read some people who think it is better than the M14/M1A. Though, a little light in the front end.

For $500 you can easily get a M1 Garand through the CMP (Civiliam Marksmanship Program at www.odcmp.org). If you must have a 308 it is not too much work to rebarrel one to a 308. I like the Garand, I have 2 of them in 30-06, and going to make two Tanker style in 308.

M1As will cost a small fortune at about $1300+, depending on version. Though, their ability to be scoped is nice.

Soldier of Fortune magazine once rated the FN FALs as the best assault/battle rifle around. Supperior to the M1A. Actually, the FN FAL as #1, FN FAL paratrooper was #2, and the M1A and Garand were either 3 & 4 or reversed.

Can the CETME rifles handle modern .308 Win and 7.62x51 rounds safetly?  Are they hard to find in accurate, shootable condition?

4583[/snapback]

I have put both through my CETME "but" I have yet to empty a mag without at least one failure to feed jam. I covet a FN-49 in 7X57 but would be happy with one in a different caliber. I put the FN-49 more in the M-1 class of rifle. INMO the untimate AK type rifle is the Finland manufactured, they are available used in either 556 or 762X39. Problem is trying to find one that isn't well worn, they haven't been imported since the late 80's. Don't over look the SKS they are a reliable fun-gun, terribly inaccurate but with the cheap ammo available you can shoot for hours very cheaply. I knew somebody that had an AR-10 and spent months looking for a part. His was surplus from a mideastern country, Jordon I think. It more closely resembles the original Armalite design of the AR-180 than the later AR-15 M-16 type.

I happen to think an AR15 the best possible choice of semi auto and here's why:

1. Nice mild round to shoot ... you can do a lot of shooting

2. Relatively inexpensive to shoot ... see #1

3. Configuration changes are as easy as pushing out a couple of pins

4. Plenty of aftermarket goodies

5. It is a very accurate rifle

6. Magazine changes are quick and easy

7. Great ergonomics (IMO, anyway)

8. Spare parts are readily available

Now if you want to be able to hunt with it, that is an entirely different story and you may wish to consider something in 30 cal. Mind you, there are other calibers available for the AR, including the 7.62x39 and the recently developed 6.8 mm round.

I don't have any of the "evil black rifles" you've mentioned, however, I do have friends that have them, and I know that the CETME is a good, solid rifle for the money...it's in .308, as I am sure you know. The closest I've come to a CETME, here in CA is my Spanish FR-8, and it's fantastic...though a bolt action.

I have never heard a complaint about any FN-FAL, and most of my friends who had started out with "lesser" rifles have been very happy to graduate to an FN-FAL.

However, for my own experience with semi-autos, it's hard to beat either an SKS or an M1 Garand...though, I shouldn't probably mention them at the same time...each are in a class of their own! The Garand with it's 30-06 cartridge isn't ballistically THAT different from a .308, unless one is shooting competitively...though, the general consensus does seem to be that the .308 is a bit more accurate. As suggested, one could always rebarrel a Garand to .308.

The SKS is just an all around fun gun...the cartridge leaves a lot to be desired if you are wanting tack-driving accuracy, but with a good shooter, the SKS is a very forgiving gun. And you can be mean to it, it won't care!

I'd decide on your caliber first. With .308/7.62mm NATO, atleast those are a hunt legal caliber.

I have an early CETME, a FMP G3 Clone and an AR15. (Some Cetmes need "tweaked". See Cetme site.)

Have had the FAL and a pre-ban M1A. In all cases you have to get use to them.

I'd suggest www.cetmerifles.com or FALFiles.com, AR15.com.

Read up. Check GunBroker.com or one one the other auction sites for prices. I'll post more if you want them.

Why did you not pick the AK family? Hunt legal (w/ proper mag) in some states,okay for deer sized game, closer up.

Thanks all for the information.

In truth, I think I have talked myself into a FN-FAL type rifle and hope to also collect a M1A and M1 Garand later in life. A lot has to happen before I'm able to cough up the dough for an FN, but I think that's what I want. For no particular reason mind you, they just sorta "speak to me."

I excluded the AK's mainly because it's literally what everyone else has and they've never appealed to me. Likewise, I'm just not that fired up about AR-15's.

I doubt I'll ever shoot more than paper with this rifle (if I ever get it). I have too many bolt guns for hunting!

Thanks again all,

Jason

I had the oppurtunity about 20 years ago to particiapte in an auto loading rifle running hog target shoot. It was a real challenge just to get 2 or 3 shots off even more to hit the target. The AR-15's ruled the high power match with the light recoil and the ability to stay on target.

I'm just not that fired up about AR-15's. 

I doubt I'll ever shoot more than paper with this rifle (if I ever get it).

4773[/snapback]

I'd say go with an M1 Garand.

After all, it's the "greatest battle implement ever devised".

Also, if you're shooting paper, you will not be disapointed with an AR-15, either.

It's the most expensive, but if you decide on a complete rifle in 5.56, you can purchase a 7.62 NATO upper and have a real tack driver in both calibers.

My semi-auto choices:

1) US Rifle Cal 30 M1

2) AR-15

3) M1A (16" SOCOM)

4) FAL (L1A1)

5) G3, or CETME

6) AK

I've got to agree with Tombstone.

My Garand is my favorite rifle.

If you haven't participated in a Garand match you should bump it up on your to do list. The first stage is good for a tingly feeling every time.