Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Minwax Tung Oil

8uck5nort

I am putting on the final coats and have noticed somewhat of a cloudy or hazey appearance in some spots. Sanding between coats appears to be taking out the spots, but when the next coat dries I get them back. However, they are not in same place. Is this normal when using Tung oil or this particular brand? Is it just part of the process? Overall it is looking good, just not sure if this going to cloud up or am I just working through it. Could it be I am putting it on too thick?

The product directions say apply additional light coat after 24 hours. Sor far I have three coats and used 600 grit wet/dry to sand between coats and used fresh paper to rub in additional coats. I am doing another coat tonight with 800 grit and then do a final coat and rub down with 0000 steel wool after it dries for a total of 5 coats, and then polish with a pledge furniture polish to give it a shine and depth.

I have not used Minwax Tung oil, but have used Homer Formby Tung with good results. Are you drying the stock in a cool or cold area? Some finishes will glaze in cold weather and give you the milky look that you mentioned. I use 3 coats of tung usually, depending on the wood, and finish the stock with up to 10 coats of satin polyurethane spray cans in very light coats. I allow plenty of time(days sometime) between coats.

Spiris

I am working in my basement and it is relatively cooler. Say upper 50's low 60's this time of year. That makes sense then. When the ambient temps warm will the milkiness, if present, go away?

• 1 month later...