Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mistery Mauser

Paul Stuart

When my grandpa passed my dad gave me his old deer rifle. It is a mauser 98 with nazi crests all over it(numbers matching). He bought it in a v.f.w sale in the 50s for $12 LOL. The reciever has BYF stamped on it as well as 44 (Im assuming that is the year). It also has some sort of dovetail on the side of the rear sight base.Is that some sort of scope mount? What does the BYF stand for? I would just like some info on these markings and the dove tail on the site base. Im leaving it as is and would never sell it but just curious. Im not familiar with mausers but the old gun got me hooked on em

Thanks

Paul S

The only missing part is the front hand gaurd (I think thats what its called). I want to also get an original bayonet for display purposes. Are those things hard to find? I found the bayonet with a sheeth for $65. Is that a fair price? I thought it was cool finding an original war horse in the closet. It was for my favorite price too.... FREE!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

That is a fair price for a bayonet.

Sounds like you have a "GI Bring Back".

Those can be worth a fair amount of money these days.

Two places for the handguard:

Springfield Sporters and The Gun Parts corp.

Both are on the net.

karl