Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bullets For 7.62X54R Cartridge

Looking to start handloading for this round. Does anyone have a recommendation on a readily available commercial bullet? I know they should be in the .310 to .312 range, but have no prior experience with this round.

I'll get some pics posted soon.

I got the ATI stock fitted. Working on getting the barrel to free float. I added a bipod to it. New Yote masher...

Just for everyones info the ATI stock was not a drop in fit and has required alot more fitting than I expected.

I bought a big box of .311" Remington Core-lokts to reload in mine. I use them for blasting bullets and .311" Sierra Matchkings when I'm serious about taking a Mosin to the range.

Any .311-.312" bullet should work. Most will be .311" in diameter although I have seen a few .312" on the market.

Another way to look for them would be to find components for a .303 British. That uses a .311" bullet as well.

With surplus ammo so cheap it seems (to me anyway) to be a waste of time to reload it. I understand you don't get the satisfaction of a job well done and the only way to squeeze maximum accuracy is with reloads. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-rifles/7-62x54r/p/7-62x54r-bulgarian-light-ball-fmj-ammo%2C-steel-case%2C-440-rd-tins-/cPath/12_42/products_id/1789

With surplus ammo so cheap it seems (to me anyway) to be a waste of time to reload it. I understand you don't get the satisfaction of a job well done and the only way to squeeze maximum accuracy is with reloads. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-rifles/7-62x54r/p/7-62x54r-bulgarian-light-ball-fmj-ammo%2C-steel-case%2C-440-rd-tins-/cPath/12_42/products_id/1789

Another bad part about the surplus ammo is its corrosive.

Another bad part about the surplus ammo is its corrosive.

You're correct about the corrosive stuff. It should be avoided unless one is willing to diligently scrub and clean as soon as possible after shooting. I start the cleaning at the range by running some Windex soaked patched down the bore as soon as I'm done shooting. Years ago I learned the hard way NEVER trust anyone's claim that surplus ammo they are selling is non-corrosive. Treat ALL mil-surp ammo as corrosive.

I often tear down surplus ammo, salvage the powder and bullets and load it in my own boxer primed brass. I've nearly used it all up but for years I have been salvaging 765 Argie mil-surp ammo and loading it's components in 303 Brit, 7.7 Jap and most recently 762X54R for my neighbor.