Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Check This Out:

roscoedoh

Feel free to flame me but I suspect it was assembled in Photoshop. First thing that perplexes me is why go through all the trouble building it from an action, using a premium barrel then using a cheezy mil-surp stock. I wouldn't be surprised if the picture didn't originate from a April Fools Day posting somewhere on the net.

I heard, mind you I just heard. I believe it came from a gun counter sales person at either Cabala's or Sportsman's Whse. Shortly before Remington took over the Mauser production from Chas Daily they had a southpaw version in 223 on the drawing board that died with the demise of Chas Daily. Possibly the sales person knew what he was talking about or just repeating somebody's wishful thinking. I guess there is a remote possibility the lefty action came from a Zastava prototype but it is more likely a typical internet hoax.

Kind of weird, the thumb cut is where it should be (for a right hand riflr) but the bolt stop is missing.

It appears to have an FN style bolt shroud.

If it's not a fake, how did they deal with the camming surfaces at the recoil lugs and at the rear bridge?

Also there is no guide rib on the bolt and it appears to be a commercial type cocking peice.

More photos?

Shortly before Remington took over the Mauser production from Chas Daily they had a southpaw version in 223 on the drawing board that died with the demise of Chas Daily. Possibly the sales person knew what he was talking about or just repeating somebody's wishful thinking. I guess there is a remote possibility the lefty action came from a Zastava prototype but it is more likely a typical internet hoax.

Zastava did offer several calibers in left hand (and probably still does if you can find out who is their US distributer). I posted a link to them in another LH thread a while back.

I doubt this is one of their rifles.

Zastava did offer several calibers in left hand (and probably still does if you can find out who is their US distributer). I posted a link to them in another LH thread a while back.

I doubt this is one of their rifles.

if you doubt this is CD, better click on the link, cause it's broadcast across the entire right wall of the action "Charles Daly" :D

if you doubt this is CD, better click on the link, cause it's broadcast across the entire right wall of the action "Charles Daly" :D

Yup, you're right! I can't imagine why someone would take the time to assemble something like that.

What is really bizarre is the the thumb notch side. How does it eject?

The other side has the high solid rail as would be expected on a LH sporter but the left rail looks like a standard 98

I think the stock is playing a trick: look carefully where the ORIGINAL thumb-notch was - it sits lower than the ejection port lug rail.

That action is a complete, mirror image to a FN/Mark X Mauser action. Everything on the ACTION is correct. The stock it another story; for all the work and investment that was put into this rifle, my thinking is that you're getting a left-handed barreled action with a Lothar barrel and nothing else.

For $1500, I'd expect the wood to match the action better. Right now it looks like a left hand action in a right hand stock.

I think the stock is playing a trick: look carefully where the ORIGINAL thumb-notch was - it sits lower than the ejection port lug rail.

That action is a complete, mirror image to a FN/Mark X Mauser action. Everything on the ACTION is correct. The stock it another story; for all the work and investment that was put into this rifle, my thinking is that you're getting a left-handed barreled action with a Lothar barrel and nothing else.

For $1500, I'd expect the wood to match the action better. Right now it looks like a left hand action in a right hand stock.

If it was a true mirror image, the thumb cut would be on the other side of the rifle.

With your eye, follow the left rail in this photo to the opening where the spent cartridge is supposed to eject.

You'll notice with this action the spent case will have to jump over quite a tall left side rail in order to exit the action.

Not like any Mauser I've seen, (and I've got 60 or 70 of them)

post-200-127189020355_thumb.jpg

I had an oddball project recently where an all matching commercial FN rifle was stocked with a stock that had the thumbcut relief. After much discussion, the owner decided he wanted the receiver converted to match the stock. So, I did it.

Mike, what's with the bevel on top of the rear bridge?

Don